How does Wanikani's Working System Work- RADICALS

Hello! I’m new to Wanikani and I love the system to learn on the site. So, I am going to tell you how it helps a complete beginner in Japanese Kanji learnt the language!

" A different language is a different vision of life" -Federico Fellini
Radicals
When I started, the radical learning system was compeletely crazy to me, and I stopped using it for days! However, WaniKani kept on sending me new lessons and words to learn and it all sounded so interesting! So, I decided to use it again , and the system suddenly made more sense. The fact that it relates all to real things helps , since you are entering all language learning pathways!

Thanks for listening! How does the radical system work for you?
Marissa Granger

2 Likes

Welcome!

Before I knew radicals, even simple kanji looked complex, but with radicals I can more easily remember kanji. Instead of a bunch of lines, I can remember it’s a combo of so-and-so radicals.

It also offers more mental fooholds to remember things. Since the WK mnemonics are done using radicals, simply naming radicals of a kanji I can’t remember can jump-start recollection.

Glad you’re enjoying it!

1 Like

For me, I know WaniKani will work long-term because of a college psychology class I’ve taken. The use of mnemonics and spaced learning is literally the strongest memory retention over extended periods of time. Personally, it starts off easier than it should and maybe in the wrong direction - it’ll be harder to remember the actual pronunciation of a word since they only offer the mnemonic, at least to start with. But that’s just me ¯_(ツ)_/¯

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.