How does the 2018 practice paper compare in difficulty to the real N5 exam?

I have just completed the official 2018 N5 practice paper under its prescribed exam conditions.
Downloaded from the official website. Japanese-Language Proficiency Test Official Practice Workbook | JLPT Japanese-Language Proficiency Test

However I believe since then, a few things have changed and there is now less time and I believe, though not 100% sure, less questions.

However 2018 was 4 years ago, and this recent change happened as well.
So I am wondering for those who have sat N5 recently, how does the difficulty compare?
I passed this practice paper, but I heard rumors it is getting harder, and 4 years is quite a lot of time.

Thanks.

2 Likes

If you know the basic particles and verb conjugations, roughly 100 of the basic kanji, and a decent chunk of the kind of words you’d expect to learn when starting any language, you should be fine. Regardless of precisely how many questions there are.

I mean, I guess take that with a grain of salt, since I’ve never taken N5 (I’ve passed N4, N2, and N1), but I have looked at the practice tests. It’s the most basic content, so they don’t have a lot of wiggle room for asking you about different stuff.

1 Like

I did N5 in December 2020 and it was exactly like the test samples online / practice paper. The only recent change was (I think) that since 2020 you have a bit less time, but from what I have seen in the room back then, nobody was struggling with the time limit really.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.