How Does One Say, "My pet called..."

I’m coming up with example sentences and I want to write a specific sentence: “My goldfish called John died.”

It’s the “called” bit I’m stuck on, would it perhaps be:
「金魚のジョンが死んじゃった。」
or
「金魚というジョンが死んじゃった。」

Thanks in advance!

I can’t remember if I have seen 金魚のジョン before. I have seen 〇〇という〇〇 many times. However, 金魚というジョン = A john called Goldfish. You need to switch the parts around.

ジョンという金魚 would be correct.

Also, 死ぬ sounds a bit too direct. Here 亡くなる「なくなる」would be better :slight_smile:

6 Likes

My grammar sucks so this is a shot in the dark, but Jisho tells me that 呼ばれる (yobareru) is the correct intransitive verb for being named. So maybe something like 金魚はジョンと呼ばれて、死んじゃった。

Hopefully someone who knows more can correct me.

ジョンと呼ばれた金魚が死んじゃった。Would be better. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is ジョンという金魚 the version used more however?

Gotcha, thanks!

As compared to と呼ばれた? Yes, most likely. However, I have to say that
ジョンという金魚が死んじゃった
sounds a little detached. It’s not about swapping it out for 亡くなった though: 亡くなる is just a more polite (and less shocking) way of saying ‘to die’. It’s like saying ‘he’s gone’ or ‘he disappeared’ (which is one way of saying it in French) instead of ‘he died’. 死ぬ should be fine if you’re talking to friends.

The problem is more that this sentence would work for any old goldfish: ‘A goldfish called John died.’ I think you might want to use 私の金魚 instead of just 金魚, or even 「ペットの金魚のジョンが死んじゃった。」(Note: The の’s in that last sentence are ‘appositional’ (indicating that two things are equivalent/refer to the same thing) or ‘attributive’ (they ascribe a characteristic to something) – they indicate that ‘pet=goldfish=John’, or, alternatively, that the goldfish is a pet (an attribute/characteristic), and that ‘goldfish-that-is-a-pet=John’.) There needs to be a sense of ownership, in my opinion, otherwise the sentence sounds really emotionless (which isn’t usually how people announce a death).

PS: the sentences I typed definitely aren’t the only possibilities. There are plenty of other sentences that would be grammatically correct, with the words in a slightly different order.

2 Likes

You probably shouldn’t completely trust me, but perhaps you should ask a native speaker how they would say the same thing. For example, Japanese native speakers may use different expressions to convey the same meaning.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.