How do you write Sweden as = スウェーデン?

If nothing else we’ll meet again in reality

True, true that’s a way bigger goal than getting to painful though! But I’m gonna bite back until I actually climb to the top of this mountain! Even if I will rip my hair off 20 times in the process.

By the looks of it, it seems you are too fast for me so maybe you will get to 20 before I reach 10 :frowning:

Tenacity is more important than speed!

1 Like

True that as well, you are wise!

Which reminds me that I need to get my butt off this addictive forum, and do my reviews! :smiley:

You want to forum more…

2 Likes

Haha that made my day! Thank you.

1 Like

I don’t think there’s a ‘general rule’ but there might be at least a bit of correlation to the time period when the Japanese were first exposed to a country. Germany had relatively early significant contact with Japan, compared with Sweden. It could be that the Japanese heard the word “Sweden” applied to them by another country (Like England or something) and adopted it before the Swedish came along to give Japan their own name for themselves.

I’m no etymologist though, and I’m about to fall asleep, so take my theory with a grain of salt. It’s interesting to think about. Someone should do a thesis where they look up Japan-Other Country contact periods and compare the country names based on date of contact. :stuck_out_tongue:

I just realized that you meant it as before reaching “Death” aka level 20… doh.

I’m a really smart person, I promise I am! :smirk:

1 Like

Those katakana combinations are something to memorise alright. For me I have no choice to at least remember ‘ve’ and ‘va’ because it’s in my name :sweat_smile::joy:

Haven’t really seen much of these in use though, esp. the last 9 (thi dhi dhu t’u and q*).

Oddly enough, you put in a gif with Max Von Sydow who is Swedish!

Am I missing something?.. I know Alec Guinness and Mark Hamill are in that…

Σ( ̄。 ̄ノ)

パーティー pa-thi- party is quite a common one.

Quite recently, I have seen クォーター qo-ta- quarter.

Nah, I think the person mixed the movies up :slight_smile: Max Von Sydow is in The Force awakens :slight_smile:

Yeah, I mixed them up totally. My bad.

1 Like

No problem. You’re still my friend.

And Im mixing up long vowels and double consonants too, So I do a lot of 交ing as well, no worries :wink:

Foozlesprite pretty much nailed it. They got most of their katakana country names from German due to their prior relationships. Learned this well as an American living in Germany with my Japanese wife, she’s a lot more familiar with German words for places than English words. Very often they’re the same, and they’ve replaced some with the English or local version, but often this is the case.

Ah that’s true, I always have it in my head as pa-ti- so I didn’t realise it. :stuck_out_tongue:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.