How do you write Sweden as = スウェーデン?

So I usually write Sweden as スウエデン is this wrong? Cause I have seen it being written as it is written in the topic, and for the heck of me I have no clue how to write it like that in the IME, Isn’t it like a small tsu in Hiragana? I’m lost.

Long vowel is correct. In an IME you write it as suwe-denn.

1 Like

To type any small kana, type an L before it. so this could be typed suule-denn.

1 Like

Thanks, both of you. I’m just not that used to writing katakana with an IME yet so I couldn’t figure out how to write it. I will make sure to go back to the pleasent thread and see if I can pick up on the rest of these input methods. I think I was mixing up long wovel with double consonants as well. Think It’s time for me to refresh a bit on katakana again.

Anyway, thanks!

1 Like

Glad to hear that the things I wrote in the wiki are actually being read, haha

3 Likes

For what it’s worth you can also type X in front of a vowel to make it a little one. I personally prefer it to L since it’s a sound that’s not even remotely native to Japanese.

1 Like

somewhat related question …

the Swedish name for Sweden is Sverige…

do the Japanese prefer to see the Katakana of the anglicized name or the native (local) name for foreign countries?

Maybe if they are studying Swedish.

Pretty sure all languages have their own names for other countries. I doubt anyone unfamiliar with the Swedish language itself would know what Sverige is, it’s always スウェーデン, or a variation thereof.

I was meaning to be more general.

the Japanese call German (language) ドイツ語
which isn’t using the Anglicized root “German” …

as a general rule … do most country/language names in Japanese equate to the Anglicized name, or the local name? Or is there really no rule of thumb?

it was just a question of general curiosity.

There’s only about 200… it wouldn’t take too long to do a check, haha.

suwe-denn OR suuxe-denn

It just feels wrong to hit 2 character keys for a small character, when あ い う え お, I hit only 1. Maybe I should get used to it.

(Just Googled)
ファ fa
フィ fi
フェ fe
フォ fo
フュ fyu
ウィ wi
ウェ we
ウォ wo
ヴァ va
ヴィ vi
ヴェ ve
ヴォ vo
ツァ tsa
ツィ tsi
ツェ tse
ツォ tso
チェ che
シェ she
ジェ je
ティthi, t’i
ディ dhi, d’i
デュ dhu
トゥ t’u
クァ qa
クィ qi
クゥ qu
クェ qe
クォqo

3 Likes

I remember going through those combinations of kana when I was studying Katakana, but they have somewhat slipped my attention when going through words in katakana. I guess mainly because I havn’t come across too many words in katakana yet, and especially once that uses the kana combinations. But since I mixed up long vowel and double consonants it shows that I need to get back to refresh some things on katakana, might as well have a course that I keep on practicing until everything is natural.

Just that coming from kanji and hiragana where long vowels are おう etc I just got it mixed up. Reading the combination katakana is just as crucial as the hiragana combinations, and seems like I have slacked a bit more on that part than what I did on Hiragana! So time to get back in the sattle again :smiley:

1 Like

How is everyone there? How’s the wiki looking?

Talking about my county got substantially easier when i realized I could write it in katakana by typing “suwe-denn” rather than “suuxe-denn”! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We are doing fine I hope! There have been some additions so far, but I guess there could always be more :slight_smile:
Added some topics myself, and still thinking about if I could add something new :slight_smile:

Still looking forward (and dreading for painful) too xD

1 Like

We’re waiting for you! You think you will get there before I die?

1 Like

Hahaha! Is that supposed to be a burn? :wink:

(I’m taking my time, but I’m sure I will get there! Level 5 took a lot longer than I planned, but I’m back to my usual pace, and it still works good for me. Will reach Level 7 in 3 days if everything goes as planned) :slight_smile:

No, I was just wondering if I’ll get to see your pretty face one more time before I die

Well If I promise, I wouldn’t dare to break it right? So time to step it up! :joy: