How do you read made up words without furigana?

In most video games, there are many made up words. Seeing the Kanji, it is easy to guess the “feeling” or “style” that they creators wanted to convey but I am confused as to how to pronounce them. Do I read using their 音読み? In cases where there are multiple common 音読み, which one should be used? How do Japanese people handle this?

Here is an example: 空破斬

5 Likes

Do you have any examples you’re curious about? I’m not sure about multiple on’yomi situations, but in general (with enough experience) I think it would be obvious most of the time whether to use kun’yomi or on’yomi.

2 Likes

I don’t have anything to add, but I want to say that I’ve never seen the kanji for on’yomi before
but I feel slightly proud of myself that I automatically figured out the pronounciation of 音読み from other words with those kanji in :sweat_smile:
Like my brain read it before I realised and it’s like ‘Oh, so this is what it feels like’

12 Likes

My apologies, I should have included some in the original post. Here is an example: 空破斬

2 Likes

Since it’s all kanji (no okurigana) I want to say it would be all on’yomi. So くうはざん I guess.

5 Likes

Tactics! I played the crap out of that game. Like 200 hours plus.

3 Likes

Funnily enough, I just had on’yomi as a vocab lesson yesterday.

Looks like you’ll breeze through level 12 :wink:

2 Likes

Love this game, definitely going to pick it up in Japanese one day !

3 Likes

Does the game have a guide or wiki? I feel like they might say there

2 Likes

Arial Beheading? Sounds kinda savage.

Yes, usually these would be read in on’yomi. At least that’s the case in God Eater 3 which is brimming with long-ass kanji combos.

The way I usually try to tackle these is that the ensemble meaning is just an approximate meaning of all of the kanji together, unless it’s just a combo word consisting of multiple known 熟語.

2 Likes

The game is ファイナルファンタジータクティクスアドバンス and it is a very old game so while there are English wikis, however, I didn’t find any Japanese one. Most site that refers to this said ability, never mentions how it is supposed to be read.

Regardless, I was wondering how Japanese people read words like these, especially way before when internet was in its infancy.

2 Likes

It is Air Render in English: Fighter (Tactics Advance) | Final Fantasy Wiki | Fandom

2 Likes

That’s an interesting translation :sweat_smile: . 斬首 is beheading and 斬首刑 is punishment by beheading so I thought it would work.

I guess they were aiming for something like “rend flesh” like in Legacy of Kain: Defiance.

Well aren’t the Tales games infamous for these kinds of attack names?

It’s pretty crazy how quickly they are dropped in the middle of action battles :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.