How do you read 頃?

I just noticed that I’ll encounter this kanji not until I reach lvl 45 on WK.
So I was asking myself when do you read 頃 as ごろand when is it read as ころ?

It’s usually ごろ when it’s a suffix, ころ when it’s just on its own (like こどもの頃)

5 Likes

You often don’t see cases where 頃 is read as ごろ, and i can’t give one example. In fact, it’s probably more often read as けい than ごろ. It’s probably its rendaku form, just as in 身頃. There’s a few syllables that kind of function like rendaku, but they’re… quite rare.

The suffix usage, as in 一時頃 (いちじごろ) meaning “about 1 o’clock”, is pretty common.

3 Likes

Yeah, but i mean as an instance where it’s just 頃, i can’t think of a single case. Consecutive kanji is another matter really. I’d wager after ん it’s more likely to be read as ごろ though.

Here’s a dictionary entry with (for anyone who might be interested).

1 Like

Yes, i went browsing dictionaries too, the ごろ form, in short, is used when it’s used as an attachment that translates to “roughly” or “around”, such as

1 Like

I didn’t provide the link to respond to you, but for anyone who comes across this thread in the future or people who happen to catch this page via Google. And I frankly have no interest in the conversation you and leebo were having regarding 頃.

1 Like

Level 45 doesn’t answer that question either :slight_smile:

Looks like kun with rendaku is frequent, six compounds out of seven use ごろ (in WK …). Actually you will see it in kana frequently, then you don’t have to worry.

Have you searched like this? Jisho search for words with 頃

2 Likes

Yeah, since coming to Japan, I don’t think I’ve seen 頃 (as ごろ) written in a compound outside of manga, LNs and games. It’s always just ごろ, especially if someone’s actually writing it rather than typing it. Standalone, I do usually see it as kanji though.

not yet but I tried to search for sentences .
there are some examples where the reading is ころ。that’s when it’s not a compound as @Leebo said.

1 Like

I would advise against using Jisho for example sentences. Most of them are just directly pulled from Tatoeba, where anyone can submit them, regardless of their proficiency in Japanese or English.

3 Likes

that’s a valuable advice actually. thank you.
where do you suggest getting easy to understand examples sentences from?
do you have a good site?

This corpus is a good place to find words used in context. Here’s the search results for . Although it is a Japanese site, it will link you to the source of where the sentence with your search query item is located if you click on the arrows below the context sentences. If you can get over the interface, it’s a highly useful resource.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.