How do you practice listening every day?

Well, I annoy my wife in some small way almost every day. That usually does the trick, though there is a bit of repetition, and it’s often wisest if I at least pretend to understand.

2 Likes

have you read my profile dear fandead

2 Likes

I have a Japanese playlist that I listen to whenever I’m doing something like making dinner or driving.

I also watch anime frequently, although with English subs because I watch with my son.

For reading, I’ve got a few books going at the moment plus I’m playing Star Ocean FDR on my Switch.

1 Like

That’s so sweet ;u;
I’ve always wanted to drag my parents with me and binge anime together, but I don’t think its their kind of thing (the only anime we successfully binge together is detective conan and anime back from the 1980’s ;-; )

As for the topic hem hem, I usually watch anime, like most people here mentioned, and the random interesting looking youtube videos with people speaking in japanese :'D

1 Like

My parent’s relationship with anime is renting Fist of the North Star for me when I was 12 because they thought cartoon = for kids. :laughing:

And I think the only ones I got my wife to watch were 君の名は and Your Lie in April. She loved them though.

One that I like is the Forsythe Family. The dad is Australian and they grew up in Hiroshima so their Japanese is pretty much native. No english subs though, only Japanese, but they do speak English in a few of their videos.

One of my favorites is the son taking the mom to McDonald’s:

2 Likes

I can’t say I actively practice listening every day; I have a one-hour block of time every morning where I either read, listen or pratice grammar.

My go to podcast is Nihongo Con Teppei, which I think is very good, although a bit boring in the long run (especially when you listen a single episode 5+ times). At the moment I’m watching a lot PDRさん on Youtube.

In the evening (every day) I always watch some Japanese content, although mostly with English subtitles because I don’t have enough focus, time, and language proficiency to do without. Recently Psycho-Pass, Tokyo Ghoul and Aggretsko, all on the Japanese Netlifx. Of the three, Aggretsuko is the easiset to follow with Japanese subtitle only (provided you play it at 0.8x speed because they speak really quickly)

1 Like

Oh lolll >u<
My parent’s relationship with anime is letting 5 year old me watch an anime where every episode someone dies a horrible death! (not complaining tho, detective conan is my childhood and I won’t let anyone trash it! XD )

1 Like

I follow several YouTube channels, my favorites being Watercolor by Shibasaki and Sambon Juku.

Watercolor by Shibasaki is a channel run by a 優しいおじいさん; he narrates over his videos of watercolor painting tutorials. He also has a few videos just talking about his life and his cat! I like this channel a lot because he talks quite slowly, and most of his videos include subtitles.

Sambon Juku is a teaching channel that has short videos talking about grammar points included in the JLPT from level 5-1, and there are also videos made just for listening comprehension. I really like their videos, because he talks in a clear and natural voice, and only uses vocabulary that one should be expected to know or understand in the indicated level of the video. All of their recent videos do not have English subtitles, and so you are challenged to really use your listening skills!

4 Likes

I did a few things to find listening content.

1. Switched my location/language to Japan on Youtube, looked at trending and found some channels.
  2. Search for topics I am already interested in, and then find a Japanese equivalent.
  3. Watch them whenever I can.
  4. V-tuberssssss… I fell down that rabbit hole before I even started studying Japanese but those channels are great for listening to un-scripted Japanese.
  5. Oh, and copious amounts of music everyday. Not sure how much it helps but I love listening to new music so why the hell not?
3 Likes

Watching anime or native speaker vlogs on youtube.

I think before focusing on listening comprehension you should try to incorporate passive listening in first (though either watching some TV shows or YouTube videos with the subtitles off, listening to podcasts, music, etc.). As far as active listening goes, there’s a great chrome extension that helps with language learning and works with Netflix to break down every line. I also recommend doing the JLPT listening practice (there’s a ton of free options on YouTube and such), or even finding a partner of HelloTalk to chat with. I personally live and work in a very rural section of Japan so, I hear it all around me almost all the time.

1 Like

On Netflix, I have a profile that has Japanese as preferred audio so I watch USA shows like “Teenage bounty hunters” or “Sabrina” with Japanese audio and English subtitles.

2 Likes

I just listen to grammar lessons in the car too/from work every day, and play games with the audio set on the weekends.

1 Like

I like Learn Japanese From Small Talk because of the longer length. I can just play it while working without fussing over starting new episodes.

1 Like

I turn the audio of whatever anime I’ve watched recently into an MP3 and listen to that. I already have a good idea of what’s going on from watching it so it doesn’t require as much attention. I’ve usually already looked up most of the unknown words so It helps me to remember them and internalize them much better than just Anki alone.

1 Like

I listen to Japanese rock and metal everyday. I prefer bands with vocalists that enunciate clearly. Yousei Teikoku is particularly good for this, also Lamiya, Kizu, The Gazette, and a few others.

2 Likes

The Let’s learn Japanese from small talk! podcast even though I barely understand anything :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

are they available on spotify?

Both of them are :slightly_smiling_face:

I definitely use a lot of media outlets to learn more about the vocal side of the language. There are a lot of people who learn in different ways but I do this with conversational media like shows or even podcasts. Of course, there are times that the Japanese language has a lot of intricate features but using them in the media that I consume is definitely helpful because there are a lot of twists and turns when it comes to this. It is hard to properly grasp it but it does help by watching the shows and listening to podcasts when it comes to my understanding as well as talking.