How do you personally setup your lessons?

That really only requires one change, by putting priority on item type with the reorder script, it’ll show you for example only radical items, then kanji items, and then vocab items, once the radicals and kanji are done there are only vocab items left anyway, so one setting with the script can do that for you :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Interesting, thanks for the tips :slight_smile:

1 Like

Usually I try to get the vocab done before the next level hits, but sometimes (like now, because of travel) I can’t.

1. Rush to do the radicals lessons, since these are the main bottleneck.
  2. Do 20 lessons per day. This gets all available kanji out of the way in 2 days.
    2.1 IF 90% of the level’s kanji are available from the getgo, I rush to do all of them. When this is the case it’s common for the level to only have 3 or less radicals.
  3. Finish off the vocab before the next level hits.

Doing this usually gets me a handful of days with 20 daily lessons, and a couple with 30-40 new lessons.Sometimes I also rush them all to have a 0 lessons and reviews, but this seems kind of pointless.

1 Like

Wow, talk about a fast pace :open_mouth: It does seem to make sense to me to try and get the radicals out of the way since, as you said, it’s the bottleneck. Might try that for a bit and see how it goes for me :slight_smile:

My setup is the exact same, yea we know what we’re doing :sunglasses:

1 Like

\ :grin: /

com-resize%20(3)

1 Like

Seems I can’t install it without changing a bunch of settings on my work laptop, I’ll have to set up the ordering on my home computer :slightly_frowning_face:

Which actually reminds me of another question if you don’t mind answering: What time of day do you do your lessons? :thinking:

Hmm it’s been a while since I’ve had lessons, but that really depended on the time of day that I leveled up too – it was usually in the mornings and evenings for me, that’s what typically worked best with my schedule ^^ if I had time during the day though, I’d sneak in some lessons here and there too, so I’d say it really comes down to what works best with your schedule and lifestyle :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Personally I always try to do my lessons as early as possible. If done right you’ll do reviews for the items of those lessons you did at least twice that day, maybe more for items you get wrong. This allows you to level up faster and reduces the load on your morning reviews the next day, also it gets me in a bit of a schedule to remain consistent. If I do my lessons past noon though it’s very unlikely I’ll stay awake long enough to make it to the 2nd batch, but I wouldn’t stress it too much either way. Once I level up though I almost always start my radical/kanji lessons right away.

1 Like

Very true. I’ve been trying to do reviews while commuting on the subway, some days my brain doesn’t want to remember that on’yomi for that one kanji that I had totally nailed before :upside_down_face: but on the other hand, as you said, you can do more efficient reviews

When I’m actually doing new lessons, I do 12 a day (3 batches of 4). Specifically, I do 3 kanji and 9 vocab a day (when available). To do this without refreshing a million times, I use this script.

1 Like

:open_mouth: that’s a neat way to do it.Do those kanji somehow matchup to the vocab, or is that not plausible?

No. It can still only give you items you’ve unlocked that are in your lesson queue. It gives you the items in the order you would have gotten them (assuming you’re using ordered lessons in the WaniKani settings), just of the specified amount per type.

right, that makes sense :upside_down_face: thanks for the tip

1 Like

i’m doing all radicals as soon as i get them. the next session, i’d clean up all the vocab. kanji come last, since i won’t get the second part of the level before the radicals are guru’d anyway.

second batch, i do all new (and remaining batch 1, if there are any left) kanji first, then the vocab.

1st half: so it’s radicals - vocab - kanji
2nd half: kanji - vocab

1 Like

One thing that I do is learn the available kanji before I add them. If I have 24 available kanji, I’ll learn 12 on the first day, then the remaining 12 in the next day. Then on the third day I test myself, and if I get most of them right, I add them then. Otherwise I would die.

What do you mean by add them? :open_mouth:

Add them as in doing them in the lessons, adding them to your reviews

I do radicals and kanji first, and so far I haven’t had a problem with vocab piling up. I also do my lessons in 10 item batches because it makes me take a lot of time while learning them because the review at the end will be 10 items instead of 5.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.