How do you make it out of Level 7?

My, uh, mate says “Thanks!”

3 Likes

https://www.wanikani.com/users/[insert username]

For example:

2 Likes

Find out what you need to know for the level and focus on only that.

So on level 7 you have level 7 radicals and level 7 kanji. Go to https://www.wanikani.com/level/7 and study them.

You may find it helpful to use the reorder script to force out your radicals and kanji first.

Be warned that abuse of the script will level you quickly but leave you with a large backlog of vocab.

Success in WK and any learning endeavour is not in learning the content so much as learning how to learn the content.
IE, gathering the requirements of the level, learning those items, relearning that level’s leeches and prioritizing getting those leeches to guru.

:slight_smile:

Glad I’m not the only one - Here since 2012, level 12!

3 Likes

Glad to see you’re still hanging in there and persevering! Do you study Japanese outside of WK?

Remember. With husband he is married. He no longer has a dick. 夫

All the other look alikes have a dangly. 末

6 Likes

I’ve noticed people tend to hit a speed bump somewhere between levels 7-10.
It’s when the reviews from earlier levels start piling up, and this is where applying proper study habits starts making a big difference.

For me, level 7 was slow and I said 'fuck it" at level 8 for quite a while.

1 Like

I can’t tell you how much I appreciated your reply. I skimmed the link you provided. Tomorrow, I’ll be sure to examine it more thoroughly. It’s so nice to know I’m not the only yahoo who experiences these “moments” !

1 Like

Yes, I do. Genki, iTalki, and Memrise. Plus all the other textbooks that are out there.

1 Like

Thanks, I needed a good belly laugh !!!

I think level 5-7 is when the training wheels come off and you feel the real burn of Wanikani. All of a sudden you’ve got 200 reviews and 100 lessons when you level up that you can’t afford to add in one go like you used to. But this is basically as hard as it gets, so good luck

3 Likes

haha, the dark tower!

2 Likes

Hang in there ! Time, reviews. As I saw I needed 4 correct in a row to guru things…
I was at 7 three week ago.
My personnal technique was…

None. I sensed a real difference, in level. Even Koichi’s email “Oh noes, you made it to 7!” wasn’t a sufficient warning. 7, 8 and 9 are hard.
The only helping hand was that I was in Japan and I kept seeing the kanji around me. The 以上 comes in handy at a restaurant.
You can do it!!!

Not much at the moment, but I’ve done more in the past. At the moment, just using Glossika and trying to write occasionally on Lang-8. What about you?

1 Like

I love lang-8!! I need to use it more tbh… you should add me: Profile: Luke | Lang-8: For learning foreign languages

I’ve never heard of Glossika before, what is it?

I’m currently taking Japanese classes at my college. I’ve also been watching Japanese youtube videos, and reading some Japanese books. I just wish I had more time haha

I was a dark tower indeed. I made it out alive, and pray I never return.

7, 8 and 9 are hard.

Oh, that’s just great. But thanks for the heads up. Now I know what to expect. I can see it’s gonna be a long, rough ride. Btw, 以上、以後、以下 are really confusing to me. I’ll have to spend time with my tutor to get all of that straightened out. Thanks for your comment!

1 Like

BTW, I finally got this radical out of Apprentice. All I could think of was: “Husbands have no dick, husbands have no dick…”.

6 Likes

you realize we’re all watching you now, waiting to see if you get out of level7, right?

2 Likes

Ha! Yes, actually I do. I guess the pressures’ on, huh?

2 Likes