How do you even read a Japanese book?

Wow! I’m getting a lot of responses! Thanks, guys! I’m gonna try to reply to your answers one by one.

You’re right. I think I’m forcing myself to understand the Japanese nuances as if they’re written in English, which, in most cases, is a bad thing to do. Different languages have different nuances. Even when I’m learning English, I never really force myself to understand it in Indonesian because sometimes there just isn’t anything equivalent.

Oof. This hits me the hardest. Whenever I was trying to translate a book, I had such a hard time trying to craft a beautifully written sentence in English. It just took too much of my time and I think the book I was using was actually WAY beyond my level (I had to ask a lot of help from my Japanese friend to know the meaning of some of the sentences and even words because they don’t exist in the dictionary). To be honest, it’s really satisfying and I really want to become a translator at some point in the future, so it might be a good practice for when that time comes. But yeah, maybe I should just differentiate my “serious” reading time and my “just for fun” reading time.

Oh yeah! I definitely have experienced this. It really is one of the most eye-opening and satisfying experiences in my Japanese studies haha.

Oh, I’d say I’m more like the latter! I can differentiate parts of a sentence just fine. It’s just that most of the time (depending on the difficulty of the book) I need to look up words. But I don’t think it’s such a big problem tbh. I use electronic devices to do all of my reading (kindle, iphone, ipad) and they all come with built-in dictionaries and even built-in wikipedia searches. But still, sometimes I would find words that I can’t find anywhere in any dictionaries and I’d have to ask my Japanese friend for the meaning.

Ooh, thank you! I’m definitely gonna remember this!

I see. It really is better to just read it and not worry so much about the details, then. But sometimes I’m kinda in between those two areas of “fully understanding” and “not understanding” which makes me confused because I’m worried that I might’ve misunderstood the sentence and it might ruin the story later on. I had this experience when I was still learning English and was reading Catching Fire. I totally misunderstood some parts, therefore the picture I had in my mind when I was reading it was totally different to what the author had intended, and I only noticed it when I was reading the Indonesian version haha. But I guess it’s just how it’s gonna be when I’m still learning.

Hmm, you’re right. That’s exactly what I meant. But understanding things in Japanese is just different, I guess.

I think we’re pretty similar. But in my case, I keep putting off compiling the words into my SRS deck up until the point where I just don’t do it at all. But, sometimes, when I actually get around doing it, I end up not adding some words because I’ve seen them so many times when I was reading that I had the meaning memorized by then haha.

Thank you for your advice. I really appreciate it! :smiley:

Ohh this is a great idea! I actually have some Japanese books right now that I haven’t read (manga, light novels, and novels). Maybe I’ll try reading several books with different purposes in mind!

Thank you! I checked it out and it was an interesting read. I’m actually thinking of joining the コンビニ人間 book club but it’s been a few weeks already that I’m not sure I can catch up. But I’m definitely thinking about it. I’ve even bought the book haha. Maybe you guys can nudge me a little?

Hmm…you’re right. I think I just need more practice. Just read more and more. I’ll definitely keep this in mind.

Ah, I see. I might need to exercise even more, then. Thank you for telling me this!

Yeah! I’m definitely gonna start distinguishing between the two. I’m probably gonna use two different books, too.

Oh, I’ve never thought about this. I usually just use a JP-EN dictionary. What JP-JP dictionary do you usually use?

Oh wow. This is crazy but I can see why it works. I did this back when I was still learning English. I read the whole The Hunger Games series back to back so many times that I’d practically memorized the whole thing. I just loved that series so much (still do). It definitely helped me a lot and improved my vocabulary way more and faster than any other methods could’ve done. Reading my next books got a lot easier after that.

I see! I should think more like you. I tend to care too much about the grammar whenever I read. Maybe it doesn’t matter so much as long as I can understand it. I mean, it’s not like native speakers actually nitpick every single grammar point in everything they’re reading.

This sums up my experience perfectly. I tend to avoid books that are “too easy” for me because reading them is no challenge, but I spend way too much time whenever I read more challenging books. Balance is definitely the key.

I’ve never given graded readers a try. Maybe I should! Thank you for bringing it up :smiley:

Hahaha yeah I think I should stop translating it in my head. It’s a whole other story, though, if I really want to practice my translating skill by actually translating it and writing down the translation parallel to the Japanese version (which is what I’m doing with 余命10年).

Huh. This is interesting. So, you’re saying that I should read a book seriously at first (nitpick the vocabulary, grammar, etc.), then “for fun” after that?

I see. The lack of “translating inside my head” is what I should be aiming for. Thank you for the insight :smiley:

Whew. That was a lot! Thank you guys for the responses! I’m sorry if I didn’t reply to yours :sweat_smile:

6 Likes