How do you deal with burnout?

Generally speaking, “I’m level 8 and I feel like I’m not going fast enough in WK” is not a sign of burnout, it’s a sign of impatience.

“This is pointless drudgery/taking up too much free time and I don’t want to do it anymore because Japanese is too hard” is burnout.

1 Like

This is how I feel. I feel like going into SRS hell. SRS for kanji, SRS for vocab, SRS for grammar…Not to mention listening, reading, and speaking on top of that. I learned the hard way that learning Japanese takes too much free time. Had to sacrifice a lot to get to this point.

2 Likes

Teens were rough for me. Around 16 or so is where I hit a wall. Ended up taking a break for a few weeks, and then when I went back to it I went a lot slower. I think I’m doing about three weeks per level now. But I’ve ground out another ten levels, so it’s working for me. I would say in the 20s is where you start feeling like you can read some things. Not all the things, but enough that you actually feel like you’ve learned something for doing all this.

But pretty much all I’m doing now is WK. I gave up on grammar study because it mostly wasn’t clicking. I started reading NHK Easy News and it’s almost too easy, but that’s okay, it means I get reading practice without being super frustrated.

I have accounts at Bunpro and iKnow, I could grind grammar points and vocab, but I don’t feel like that’s a particularly good use of my time right now.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.