How do Japanese people think?

I’ve always been amazed at this phenomenon of linguistical understanding of one’s native language. Being that I specialize in Japanese psycho-linguistics, I have made some marvelous discoveries, or at least understand now the patterns and system(s) of how the Japanese language functions within the mind of a native Japanese speaker. It’s very interesting in fact, that there system for retaining information and understanding vocabulary is much like English or any other language. However, it has it’s own individual linguistical function. I have studied Japanese for 18 years and am finally benefiting some of the fruit for which foreign language study, especially Japanese, has given me such great insight into how Japanese people think in their mother tongue. I will illustrate a brief example of what I do know. Mark that I do not say anything I’m not sure of or know nothing about. So, the sentence, **“nakagawa san wa koohii wo nomu no ga suki desu ne.” “中川さんはコーヒーを飲むのが好きですね It says, "Mr. Nakagawa likes to drink coffee, right?! I chose this sentences because it includes a lot of Japanese features. For example, nakagawa san, is marked by the topic particle wa, coffee is the direct object coming before the verb(which is usually at the end) and is marked by particle wo. Furthermore, no ga suki is the pattern for to like doing something followed by desu, which now makes the sentence polite. Finally ne marks a question or seeking agreement with the meaning isn’t it? or doesn’t he?! This is a lot of info but I believe this sentence can be used to provide good understanding to those pupils of the Japanese language. I hope I explained well… Now try to think of how Japanese people think, however basic or narrow this may seem. Thank you so much

You probably need to explain more, it sounds like you discovered the concept of “grammar” :slight_smile:

26 Likes

Just to be clear, are we talking about research here? When you say “specialize” and “discoveries” it sounds like you’re a PhD student.

4 Likes

In Japanese probably

8 Likes

えっと話したいことは一体なんなんですか?

Or did I miss something?

6 Likes

I see you’ve read OP’s thesis.

6 Likes

I’ve subscribed to their newsletter.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.