How do I know which reading to use for the context sentences?

I was just mindlessly flipping through my Kanji Bible (ドラえもん はじめての漢字辞典) the other day, and accidentally stumbled upon this trivia:

3 Likes

Yeah, that happens where people will use an alternative reading just for clarification purposes. Some of them become engrained as accepted words, but sometimes it’s just for clarification.

Asks for example of what OP means. Immediately dismisses example for arbitrary reasons. Sounds legit. :woman_facepalming:t2:

Also, the sentence I edited to include for hisashiburi, which uses an unknown word and unknown kanji is the second sentence for “shoujo”, not the third. :woman_shrugging:t2:

The more I learn grammar, the more I like the context sentences. Not for their content but because I can see many grammar points being well illustrated by the sentences.

I didn’t intend to dismiss anything. I agreed with the OP about their issue with the numbers, so I’m not sure what you mean exactly.

Someone else, not the OP, said they had an example where the item itself had a reading that wasn’t taught, or at least that was how I took their comment when I responded. 久しぶり or 生 aren’t the items in question for those sentences, so I didn’t see that as related to that other part of the thread that I had been discussing. Your examples are untaught readings, yes, but not of the item in question. It’s possible I just misunderstood what that person meant, and both of you are talking about the same thing, but it wasn’t my intention to dismiss anything.

They always welcome corrections via email.

I was talking about https://bunpro.jp/. They have great example sentences with furigana (which importantly can be hidden by default so you can practice reading) and audio (super useful).

To be clear, I actually have found the WK example sentences useful overall. I’ve read every single one so far, and for the most part enjoyed the variety of tone and how they offer different ways of expression than typical textbook examples.

In the beginning it took a lot more effort to understand them, but I think it was worth it for practicing kanji reading within sentences, for seeing more grammar, and not the least for learning new expressions not covered as vocab lessons. It seems to me as if expanding on vocab (new words and expressions using the taught kanji) was a deliberate goal in creating the sentences. As I learned more, they became much easier to read, but I still have to regularly look up readings in them, and sometimes I’m not sure what I find is the correct reading. Whereas whoever wrote the sentence could have just wrote it down. So that’s my only complaint.

WaniKani:
上司に、もっとお互いのメリットを強調するような企画書に変更するように言われました。
My boss told me to alter the business proposal so that it emphasized the mutual benefits more.

Also WK:
Alter is not a synonym.

This is the kinda thing that is frustrating. There is no example sentence for how to use the word in its given form in this sentence…And they didn’t do this for a verb form (変更する) of the word. Is this vocabulary never used in noun form??

The vocab item is 変更, so it would be “alteration”, right? The literal meaning of 変更する would be “to introduce/do a modification”? A simpler version of “to alter” would probably be 変える.

It’s a bit of a stretch in the example, so I can totally understand the frustration :slight_smile: .

1 Like

I definitely understand that. What I don’t understand is why they didn’t teach ‘to alter’ if that is how it is used, or why they didn’t spend more time teaching the (longer) synonym meaning they expect us to type…

They teach less and less する-verb in higher levels (by that I mean teach 変更 : alteration and also 変更する : to alter). I think they expect learners to have figured out, or know more grammar at that point.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.