Hitoribochi Anime reading

Please be kind and help me to understand how the kanji for One is ひ?I know that the vocabulary for Alone is 一人 -hitori, but I still don’t understand this situatione, here

The reading for ー is ひと, it’s just that the furigana are evenly spaced out across the two kanji which makes it look a bit weird.

I guess this is a pun on 一人ぼっち which means loneliness, it just so happens that 里 can also be read り but I don’t really understand what the pun aims at. Sorry!

5 Likes

Yeah, in this case 一 is read ひと, but for future reference: when part of a name (as I guess is the case here) 一 can also be read ひ according to jisho.org #kanji 一 - Jisho.org

2 Likes

All the characters in this series have names that are puns on their personalities. The kanji used are (presumably) to make them look more like real names.

3 Likes

Oh, it’s the name of the character :woman_facepalming: I thought it was the name of the anime or something.
But do you know why they chose 里 of all kanji that can be read り? What is the pun in that choice?

1 Like

Well it’s also the name of the series. The series is called ひとりぼっちの〇〇生活.

I don’t think there is one? If there is it went over my head. :man_shrugging:

Here are the names for the other main characters (from the first two volumes of the manga at least). See if you can guess the puns on the names. :stuck_out_tongue:
Maybe you’ll also be able to see puns in the kanji used, but I don’t think there are any.

砂尾すなお なこ (素直な子)

本庄ほんしょう アル (本性ある)

ソトカ・ラキター (外から来た) lovely name for the foreigner, don’t you think?

倉井くらい 佳子かこ (暗い過去)

4 Likes

Ah, now I get you, the puns are only in the readings, not in the actual kanji they picked. I thought it might work the other way around (that the pun was contained in the kanji they actually chose for e.g. ひとり).
Anyways, thanks for explaining everything!

1 Like

I think it was chosen simply because it would make the surname seem more believable. 里 can also be read さと, in which case it means ‘village’. Given that a lot of Japanese names seem to refer to natural features or locations, 一里 seems like it could be a real name. You’ll notice that the other names mentioned by @seanblue seem like they could be real if not for their readings.

4 Likes

That’s a good point. Thanks!

2 Likes

Wow guys, you gotta love this community. Thank you all.
ありがとうございます
I want to binge the whole season to get the general idea of the story, in order to try reading the manga afterwards :japanese_ogre::shinto_shrine:

1 Like

I just finished the second volume of the manga a couple days ago. Definitely recommend it!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.