Hi! I'm interested, when did you all start with wanikani and what level are you now on?

You and I are pretty much in sync! I started August 26th, and have been running a little over 8 days a level so far. Sadly, that’s not continuing for me. I’ve had to pull back on the throttle because my brain was starting to leak out my ears. I’m aiming for 9-10 days at this point, but we’ll see what happens.

2 Likes

I started at October 21st, and just today I got to the fifth level. Moving on perhaps a bit slowly, but I can’t seem to remember stuff otherwise.

1 Like

Started late october i am level 5. I want to go through levels as soon as i can :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi, I started on 20th Feb this year and I’m now at level 8. I prefer to go slow so I can really absorb everything.

2 Likes

August 2017 - Level 38 :slight_smile:

I’ve slowed down loads - but maybe enjoying it more ? :grin:

2 Likes

I technically started in early 2018, but didn’t actually do anything beyond the first batch of radicals, so in April 2019 I started and have been going nonstop since then. (Well, except for juuust a minor setback. :stuck_out_tongue: It is what it is. I’m slowly but steadily working on it. Sort of. I promise.)

1 Like

Started “2015-07-07 (1618 days ago)”. No resets. Longest break was ~130 days. Averaging 1 level a month.

Powered through the 40s wanting to hit 60 by the end of the year, which resulted in ~300+ reviews a day. Took the last month to work them down. Hoping to power through the last couple of levels and be done (with WK).

3 Likes

I started July 9th, and I turn level 23 in about 12 hours. But just because I and some others are going at a fast pace doesn’t mean it’s right for everyone. I recommend not comparing your speed with others because not everyone is in the same situation.

For example for me, the first two months of WK, I had nothing but free time. Once classes started back up, I basically rearranged my entire schedule to make sure I could spend all day Thursday and all day Sunday learning new WK items to maintain my 7-day levels. I don’t have many friends or any responsibilities besides classes, so I’m able to dedicate so much time to WK.

It’s a lot of work to maintain a fast speed, and you should choose your pace based on your circumstances and how much is comfortable for you. It may seem like most people on here are going fast, and only a few are slow, but I think a lot more people are taking it slow than it seems because either they don’t come to the forums or they don’t talk about it.

2 Likes

Nice and slow :snail: :turtle:

2 Likes

What is it like being at level 60? Are you able to read and understand what people say? Im at level 2 currently and im curious as to how far this website can bring you.

2 Likes

I started Level 1 on August 10th, 2016.
I started Level 2 on April 21st 2017.
I reached Level 60 on April 15th, 2018.

Depending on how you look at it, I was either really slow or really fast. :wink:

Not who you asked but I’m also 60 so I’ll weigh in. Wanikani is a Kanji learning site so what it can do, it does great, but there are big limitations.

WK isn’t going to help you with listening, except maybe from the indirect way that it will increase your vocabulary.

It will help you with reading, since that’s what learning Kanji is all about. However, it’s not going to help you with grammar. (Outside of inadvertently teaching you about Noun+さ, etc.) So it’ll only take you as far as you being able to recognize a lot of words/kanji but not how they link together with each other.

Speaking from my own experience (I got to 60 being at a N4/5ish level grammar-wise) it actually does take you pretty far where you can brute force your way through understanding basic sentences. However it’s a painful process and it’s much better to learn grammar in tandem with kanji.

4 Likes

I started mid 2017. Blazed through until Level 18 in my first year and a half.

Been slowly progressing in the 20’s for the past 2 years. I went multiple months from doing any reviews, and took even longer to bring those reviews back down to zero. Snail pace progression due to uptick in work responsibilities and a priority on Japanese grammar instead.

I’m level 4 after 22 days, I hope that I can keep up the momentum and get to 60 soon!
wanikani

@lopicake basically said it all. ^^ WK will get you well underway to reading, but only if you put in the work for all the other aspects you need.

I think the most important thing is making sure you’re very consistently spending time on multiple facets of Japanese, while making sure not to burn out. So be vigilant, and be flexible where needed and slow down or temporarily drop some aspects when it’s all getting too much.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.