Hey guys! how many Kanji do you guys learn a day?

• 20+

0 voters

I used to do around 10 lessons a day and most of them were vocabulary, so probably 2 or 3 kanji a day on average. Of course, some days all 10 lessons were kanji and other days none of them were.

2 Likes

Even the fastest pace possible on WK works out to be about 5 kanji per day, so it seems unlikely there are going to be many people choosing numbers higher than that.

At 20 per day, it would take less than a year to reach the number of kanji in Kanken level 1.

7 Likes

I saw a video on YT about how learning 3000 Hanzi isn’t a big deal, because if you learn just 40 a day, you’ll be done in less than three months. I hope nobody went 「あ、そっか!」on that one.

WK currently teaches 2074 kanji in total. On 60 levels, that’s about 35 kanji per level on average. Even if you take only 7 days per levels, that’s still just 5 kanji per day. And some people are overwhelmed taking 14 days per level. Imagine going at a pace of 20 per day, or, cough cough 40.

3 Likes

It depends on how well I already know them. For those I absolutely don’t know (not familiar with the vocab and don’t recognize the kanji), then I won’t push more than 5.

Depending on my familiarity with the rest, I’ll do an additional 5-10 kanji lessons. If I know some vocab and recognize the kanji, I’ll do 5 lessons, and then 5 more for ones I know either one or the other. But that’s after I’ve done vocab from the last batch.

That way it’s easier to recall them during reviews because there’s a nice balance of kanji I may know well and ones that I’m learning for the first time.

All of them.

4 Likes

I typically learn associated vocabularies first, so Kanji isn’t really the limiting factor.

If enough vocabularies are known, 10 is possible. Actually, like 30 is possible too, but I would still make initial memorization in a batch of 10 (and prove my memory on paper, first).

That being said, even with WaniKani, I studied a little before the actual lessons or SRS. (And indeed, hastened by the leveling up pace.)

• None (huge vocab pile crew)

0 voters

3 Likes

Yeah, I was going to say, what about learning vocab and kana vocab rather than kanji themselves lol

2 Likes

When I level up I either do all of them, or most of them, then do the rest the next day, no set amount. When I unlock the next ones, I do them immediately. Because I’m going for max speed

On average, I learn between 0 and 9 items per day. Usually it’s about 3 items, but if I’m feeling good, I’ll learn some more… and if I’m really free, I’ll learn some in the morning and some in the afternoon.

But if my Review and/or Apprentice levels are too high, I don’t do any new kanji… I basically haven’t felt overwhelmed by WK since I started slowing myself down.

1 Like

What exactly is the definition of learning a kanji here. Either way, no matter what it is, I guess I would be below the lowest option and couldn’t answer anyways

4 Likes

You can do a Reading The Kanji run-through at a 20-a-day pace, I think, but of course it’s only teaching you how to write them, no associated readings or vocabulary at all.

1 Like

10 lessons everyday, regardless whether it’s wk radicals, kanji or vocab.

2 Likes

When I have kanji lessons available, I do between 8-9 (so I picked 10). Obviously, there are days I have no kanji lessons available and then I do 0.

I try and focus on at most 20 a week, as learning just the kanji without context means within a couple of weeks(days) i’ve already forgetten in.
With WaniKani, when they show me a new Kanji, i’ll also look up the stroke order on Stroke Order Diagram for 楽しい [tanoshii] - Tanoshii Japanese and then write it out.
I’ll also paste the kanji into google image to create a better mental image.
All this takes time so i learn less than average but i like to think i retain the information at least.

So far I level up once per week. Every tuesday at 19:00 I have to do the reviews of the second Kanji batch and then the new Kanji for the next level unlocks.
I already study those new Kanji the days before that, so I mostly know them already when I unlock them and can do them immediately.

Vocab - it depends a bit on how much new vocab is unlocked, but on average I do 20 to 25 vocab per day. Sometimes I do a bit more so I can have one day where I don’t have to study anything, which feels like a nice break :wink:

There is a user script that includes stroke order to wanikani, if you don’t have it already. Can’t remember the name at this moment tho :7

I also have been writing out every lesson content since starting with WK for reinforcement.

1 Like

Oh wow seriously!? I need to look this up, it will make life a lot easier.:sweat_smile: Writting them out is just a good habit, plus looking up kanji in the wilderness is a lot easier if you know the stroke count!

2 Likes

(checks results)

We’re gonna have so many people with Kanken 1.

5 Likes