Help with pattern "ーてーると"

Hi, everyone. The example sentence for the vocab item 叫び is:
この人形に単四電池を入れて電源を入れると、叫び出すんです。

What’s the deal with the repeated verb? I know that both て and ると can be used to connect an action and it’s consequence, by why use both here?

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

I honestly don’t think it’s a special structure. (May anyone who knows better come forward and correct me.) The way I see it, it’s just two consecutive actions. It translates roughly to

‘When [you] put AAA batteries into this doll – and [thus] put a power source into it –, it starts shouting.’

It’s just that by putting AAA batteries in, you end up also inserting a power source. That’s how it seems to me.

4 Likes

It’s just a coincidence that “putting in batteries” and “turning on the power” both use 入れる and they are both needed in this sentence. There’s no special significance to it.

As noted above, this て is just a consecutive action て. There are like 13 definitions of て.

You’re translating 電源を入れる a little literally. 電源を入れる just means “turn on” or “turn on the power”.

https://jisho.org/word/電源を入れる

5 Likes

Ah, ok, I had no idea. I’m used to using つける for ‘turn on’. Well, I learnt something today. Thanks!

1 Like

Yeah, I think it’s less ambiguous and more precise here. But つける is fine often. If you just said 電池を入れてつけると it could sound like you attached it to something.

1 Like

Oh, definitely. Or maybe it would sound like the batteries got ‘attached’ to the doll and weren’t just put inside the battery compartment. Also, a doll doesn’t always have electronics, so it wouldn’t be clear that つける meant ‘to turn on’. I just meant that I had never seen the expression 電源を入れる, that’s all.

Thank you Leebo, I thought it said 電池 twice, but I now realise I misread it and the second one is actually 電源.