Help with a song title

Hey guys,

I am trying to figure out the song title 生マレ出ヅル意思. The characters in question are robots, hence the katakana. I am having a hard time placing the ヅル. The official English “”“localization”"" is “Birth of a Wish” but the best I could find in Japanese is “Desire to live freely”. Any help would be appreciated.

“Intention to be born” is my guess

生まれる (うまれる) means to be born
出づる (いづる) means to come out
意思 means intention, wish.

So, yeah, the official translation seems pretty ok to me.

A more literal one would be “birthed out wish”, but that doesn’t sound good at all.

Oh, look at that 出づる! I wonder how come Jisho is missing it. Thanks a ton for the pointer, it makes sense now.

For vocabulary, Jisho is based on EDICT, which is a pretty good resource in my opinion, but not perfect. Nothing ever is, anyway.
It’s good to check multiple sources (obviously not all based on EDICT, as that would defeat the purpose).
Personally, I like weblio.

Edit: Their list of example sentences (tab next to definition) is also nice, even though it’s automatically extracted from real sources. (Some of them do not actually use the searched word, but what else can you expect from automated stuff).

Seconded. Usually weblio even has example sentences with english translations to further help you understand how a word is used in context. Great resource.

Well, that’s another entry for the bookmark bar. Thanks a ton guys.

I can’t quite answer the why but it is right here in Jisho. This is the only way it exists in any E-J dictionary I have, and the same goes for 大辞林, 出づる isn’t in any of them.

I wrote up a big guess as to why this is, but then I found the actual answer. The actual verb here is the old 二段 verb, 出づ (いづ). This is a verb on its own, the る is redundant, but you may also notice there are no verbs in modern Japanese that end in づ or ず (which it would be written as today). All 二段 verbs changed in 一段 verbs, with one exception that is irrelevant to this discussion, and so appear to have gained an る, this means that the verb いづ became the modern 出る we all know and love.

So, with that said, 出づる is some kind of “Half-breed”, in that it sounds “old” but it is still using modern orthography. The second answer here suggests that this comes from the reforms made with the New Kana usages they said, "There is no need to obey the rules of 文語 when writing with modern Kana. So you put the る on the end there. But, that does mean it will not exist in most dictionaries. I’m not even sure if it’d be in the 広辞苑

Someone’s playing Nier.

Birth of a Wish is definitely one of the best songs from Automata :weary: