Help me with this translation 自習研修

I’ve been ALTing in Japan for 2 and a half years now and every year at exactly this time I start getting the same question. "What does 自習研修(じしゅうけんしゅう) mean in English"
The best answer that I’ve come up with the help of my numerous Japanese English teachers is that it can be translated as “Self-study training” or “self-study experience”.
For those who don’t know, during school trips students get a chance to go off in groups on their own and have freedom to choose where they go and what they do (to the best of my knowledge at least).

I’m wondering if someone here has a better translation for this concept. I find that calling it ‘self study training’ or ‘self-study experience’ doesn’t seem to convey the right meaning.

Update: I was just asked about the same thing again but the words my teacher used were slightly different. She called it 自主研修(じしゅけんしゅう). Like Leebo pointed out about the original kanji, it’s really two separate words.

tl;dr The lack of equivalent concepts/words in English for some Japanese concepts/words is annoying sometimes.

As far as I can tell, it’s not regarded as one word in Japanese. If you’re looking for a term that is established in English that means something close, what about “guided self-study”? Probably not exactly the same, but it’s similar, I suppose.

In any case, I don’t see why the options you came up with are insufficient.

Our teachers called this: Do-whatever-the-fuck-you-want-but-try-not-to-embarrass-the-school-or-get-yourselves-thrown-out time.

I don’t think my answers are insufficient necessarily. I guess it’s more that every time I hear them they just hit my ear wrong. That’s all.

Thanks for the suggestion with ‘guided self-study’. I like the sound of it.

My teachers always left out the part after Do-whatever-the-fuck-you-want when explaining it to me but I kinda figured.

I think the English equivalent might be “self-directed learning”.

Ooo. I like that. It actually sounds like it carries the same connotation as the Japanese.