Help! I am getting swamped by the vocabulary!

I’m now level 4 and am doing fine with the radicals and the kanji. But i’m getting swamped by the vocabulary. I can not seem to get a lot of vocabs right often enough to move them along. So my review queue is just full of the same vocabs that i am getting wrong all the time or one time right, the next time wrong.
It’s mostly about readings and a kanji in a vocab being read differently or the same kanji in different vocabs being read differently and i keep mixing it up. Like ‘six’ in ‘six’, ‘six things’, ‘six days’ and ‘six months’ being read differently or ‘previous’ in ‘repvious’, ‘last month’ etc. Or ‘twenty days’ being read completely different from ‘two’ ‘ten’ ‘days’.
How can i get through this? Any tips?

5 Likes

For me it is helpful to write down the vocab or to think about the learn help. Take your time there is no need to rush.

4 Likes

Numbers and counting in Japanese are frustrating for everyone in the beginning. I second Sulax’s suggestion of writing down 1-10 for things, days, months and just plain numbers. Take your time looking at the patterns and getting to know them. Perhaps come up with new mnemonics or add to the given mnemonics to help trigger your memory. The same with ‘previous’. Find/make simple sentences that use the words so that you develop a context which will help you remember.

5 Likes

Some of these things are definitely quite tricky to start with. Try to remember to go back to the mnemonic whenever you forget something, and if it really isn’t working for you then you can always make your own.

Also, a lot of people (myself included), will only do so many vocab lessons per day to prevent them from becoming overwhelmed. I’m currently trying to do 20 lessons a day but you’ll find your own number that is best. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Calm down (落ち着いて)its fine when errors get repeated. It will be into the memory anytime later even after repeated wrong answers. Just don’t stress yourself when attempting to memorise(暗記) the words:)
All the best(頑張って👍)

4 Likes

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.
Do you know of a way to see the vocab list grouped by main kanji used? In the overview of vocab per level, the list is unsorted so grabbing the similar vocabs is a bit cumbersome.

I find that after finishing a list of reviews and the summary page appears I test myself once more on my mistakes. Only aloud just looking from one kangi/vocab to the next to try and get that short term memory kicked up into mid/long term.

Really take it easy on the mistakes, avoid the frustration and focus on what’s in front of you. Its a marathon not a sprint.

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice! I will try that. Also planning on going through my critical items list which has around 40 vocabs and the odd kanji

1 Like

One thing I found helpful is to create mnemonics for each reading of kanji I find difficult. For example, for 人, にん is a cartoon ninja, while じん is the Genie from Aladdin. I then incorporate these into my mnemonic for each vocab. I don’t do this for every reading, that would be too much, but for ones that persistently give me trouble due to multiple common readings, it helps immensely.

Others have mentioned managing your lesson queue and doing out-of-review reviews, but I +1 those suggestions wholeheartedly.

Oh, and you asked about master lists. If you go to the page for any kanji, it has a table of every vocabulary word in WK that uses it. That’s really useful for seeing if there’s any patterns to which reading is used for different groups of things. Look for patterns that work most of the time too. A pattern with a few exceptions is still useful, since it’s easier to learn one rule and a handful of exceptions than learning everything individually.

Good luck!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.