Help discern spoken Japanese

You’ve encountered a spoken sentence in Japanese that you can’t understand? Post it below and perhaps some kind soul will help you figure out what’s being said.

You can include an audio clip or a video and ask your question. Include as much information as you desire about what you’ve already managed to figure out.

8 Likes

So I’m actually struggling to understand what this guy is saying.

For context: The speaker is a police officer, and a family that runs a store has disappeared all of a sudden, leaving their house and store empty.

What I do understand: He’s talking about them having had debt.

If anybody can transcribe me the sentence, especially the word before 借金 and the bit that comes before かも, I’d really appreciate it.

2 Likes

I can’t make out the whole thing but the word before 借金 is ようけ I think - basically the kansai-ben version of たくさん.

1 Like

Is the word before 借金, perhaps: 養鶏

And maybe 四人へかも

まあ、あの店、ようけ借金抱えとったみたいやし、夜逃げかも分らんなぁ。

12 Likes

9 Likes

I think between this fragment and the earlier one in the POLL thread, this site might help you:

It was immensely helpful to me when reading 極主夫道 (which is packed with kansai-ben). It won’t teach you everything there is to know of course, but some basics like ~へん instead of ~ない and や/やん instead of だ/じゃない go a long way

4 Likes

Hahaha, you found it! :yellow_heart: :joy:

Thanks a lot! :blush:

5 Likes

Thanks! I’ll check it out :blush: looks super interesting and would help with those kansai-ben sentences I don’t understand :eyes:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.