Hello! Just a random question

Recently I’ve had some trouble with 徴
For some reason I just couldn’t remember “sign” or “indication” :upside_down_face:
I think I’ve got it down now though

1 Like

I hate you, Borx.

出来上がる Okay not really a Kanji but this vocab has been a constant source of frustration for me. also random answer to @dougfish, search for the leeches :wink: .``

1 Like
  1. 恨む・憎む have such similar looks and meanings (to resent & to hate), I’ve “answered correctly” for 恨む 143 times…

2. 枝・伎・岐 have completely different meanings, and their readings aren’t even the same. 伎・岐 can both be き, but only 伎 can also be ぎ. And then 枝 is し.

3. 哀悼・追悼 are also pretty bad for me. One is mourning, one is condolences, and which one’s which escapes me all the time.

4. 患う・遣う used to get me a lot too, until I realized 遣う is just 使う with a specific nuance (although the nuance itself is still a bit fuzzy to me).

1 Like

The most “unfair” one that I’ve encountered must be 都合. How so is that 「つごう」 :smiley:

1 Like

Don’t give me that face. You know what you did.

1 Like

1 Like

Oops, I meant 組!

there’s more asshole words. 台詞 is another.

I’ve had problems with 去 as well, I just failed a burn the other day because I wrote “previous”. Like I know it, and know how to read it, but when it’s been that long it wasn’t that hard to mix up with 先 in my head and write a very similar meaning. Especially since the main word I remember seeing it in is 去年, where by last week and last month both use 先. I dunno I think it’s an easy mixup to have but I certainly do have it, and that kanji being reintroduced as another radical with a different name (“cemetery”) is not helping anything.

1 Like

過去
かこ
the past

i often use a word i know very well as “anchor” for the reading, while the set of words wk gives you fop a kanji is usually enough. if i find that what i remember the meaning as is synonym to what wk expects, i add it as synonym here.

The last two of these can kindly go die please :grinning:

I’m pretty sure my life would not be lacking in any way if I just never learn them :grinning:

:grinning:

Because つ is a reading for 都合 and ごう is a reading for 合… It’s just a straight-up onyomi reading. No funny business. It’s just that 都 and 合 have multiple onyomi.

Another example is 都度 (つど) every time.

If it helps, in those words it doesn’t mean capital or metropolis. It means “all.”

3 Likes

The 過 as in 過ごす? I’ve run into that word elsewhere but I don’t know what level the kanji is on, but it won’t be the first kanji I’ve learned through osmosis from other materials. I’ll add 過去 to my aux. vocab anki deck for that exact purpose, cheers.

I do the same “anchoring” with words I know aurally to avoid requiring mnemonics pretty regularly, it’s more effective for me if I’ve run across a word enough. I did it with 許す recently (how many anime characters I’ve heard exclaim 許してくれ! I can’t count…) and many, many more, it’s a good way to combine various sources of knowledge imo.

1 Like

When I was starting out (not on wanikani), all of the different kanji that use 寺 (寺、時、待、持、特、等etc.) Fortunately, most of them are fairly common, and if you think about their radicals a little bit, their meanings are usually related. (待 having a somewhat inverse meaning to 行, or the radical for 持 meaning 手)

yeah, and 許す goes fine with 許可… it’s a bit like しりとり with kanji. it snowballs, and works better for me than reading mnemonics.

i think that the more new info i have to pick up per kanji, the more painful a level is, but right now, half of the stuff in 27 i either knew already, or fits in with words i know. if i can keep it to 1 story per kanji, i do.

there’s an addon btw that shows when you can derive the reading from a component. forgot the name, maybe someone else knows. i knew that 絞 was こう because of the 交, for example, and 絞殺 solidified this for me. no need for an extra mnemonic.

i studied with audio and vocab in hiragana in the past, now it’s like a huge woolen ball of loose ends, and wk helps connecting them all and bringing some order into the chaotic mess i’ve amassed over the years.

1 Like

I don’t use the add-on but it is not hard to start seeing these connections. Things like 静 I guessed to have the onyomi of せい because every time I can think of that the life radical has been involved せい has been an onyomi reading. I can guess a lot of readings as well and I get a little tickle each time they’re right, like I guessed 証 would be read しょう, 間, 関 are both かん and 門, 問 have もん, 官, 館 etc these patterns start subconsciously presenting themselves and its harder to ignore them than it is to go with them.

1 Like

yeah, this works for roughly 40% of the kanji. add 20% more you can memorize by knowing words (like 過ごす turning 過去), and you have a decent headstart. then there’s a handful weird ones like 生地 or 台詞 that piss me off just enough to stick in mind, hehe.

one day, i made the conscious decision to see kanji not as problems to solve, but as allies (and they are - try reading a 昔話 in all kana), and learning them means gaining a friend. sounds silly, but it has quite the psychological effect, even if you intellectually know it’s a “trick”.

so many little things that make it more fun and less tiresome, and guessing readings can be like a minigame. every time you guess right, it’s a little jackpot :slight_smile:

1 Like

We are derailing a bit here but I just had to mention that in my lesson set just now I had 昆 and 混。Good timing haha

1 Like