Hearing accessibility šŸ¤­

Im hard of hearing but not deaf lol (yes i still get listening practice)

For some reason my hearing aids arent compatible with this site on my phone. my computer, work computer, and pc are all fine.

For reference i use an iphone 13 and my hearing aids are bluetooth compatible. I can use them is some social medias but not all . i use wanikani on safari.

(pls no ā€œask for a scriptā€ people this is just feedback and i hope it gets fixed, im getting cochlears next year so it wont matter for me, just for other deaf people in the same situation :slight_smile:)

10 Likes

Just to clarify, did you mean the community site or the main Wanikani site?

Both. idk why it worked with my old iphone 7

1 Like

So Iā€™m not entirely sure how hearing aids work, much less on an electronic, I assume theyā€™re something like earphones?

When using wanikani on mobile Iā€™d say you should try using an app, so Iā€™m on android so Iā€™m not sure the apple equivalent, but I think itā€™s Tsurukame, try using that, it may fix your problem. Usually desktop sites donā€™t work well on mobile.

2 Likes

Hard of Hearing person hereā€¦ :woman_standing:
Yeah, I tried listening. Mine is compatible with the computer, but my ears cannot pick it up. For real, I could hear anime or Japanese drama with familiar sounds, but it is remembered muddily. Though, it doesnā€™t count for all DHH. Good luck on the study!

1 Like

Well, it works with my hearing aids, but Iā€™ve got an iPhone 8 plus. Pondering if this is a 13 issue rather than a WaniKani issue. (Though if it is a WaniKani issue, itā€™s definitely something that needs to be fixed, and not a ā€œtry this other appā€ type solution.)

Iā€™m honestly not entirely sure. Hearing aids are paired via the Accessibility settings rather than via plain old Bluetooth settings, but in actual operation, I imagine theyā€™d at least be fairly similar?

6 Likes

I have been hard of hearing all my life but never bothered me enough to get hearing aids. Recently I downloaded IKnow on my iPad for Core5000. I was blown away by the great quality of soundā€¦ I could actually hear really well! Usually itā€™s difficult for me to distinguish vowels, but whatever their secret, I Know has amazing sound quality.

1 Like

Not suggesting as a permanent fix, but could you try downloading another browser on your iPhone just to see if itā€™s limited to Safari on your phone or happens in all browsers?

2 Likes

Supposedly thereā€™s also a way to ā€œChoose whether call audio and media audio are routed to the hearing deviceā€ in the Settings > Accessibility > Hearing Devices > MFi Hearing Devices menu, and itā€™s possible thatā€™s a per-app setting (just taking this from the Apple Support page as I have neither an iPhone nor a hearing device to test with, unfortunately)

2 Likes

I thought I was managing just fine with hearing aids, and it wasnā€™t until I started watching TV with the subtitles on that I suddenly realised just how much effort I had been putting into just plain hearing the dialogue.

Also, you may not be bothered, but how about the people around you who have to say everything twice? :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Mine use both Bluetooth and accessibility. Reading these comments Iā€™m pretty sure it has something to do with my phoneā€¦

1 Like

I had an exceptionally great talent at lip reading so I didnā€™t get my first pair of hearing aids untilā€¦ this year haha. They noticed at 11 though when I thought the fire alarm at school was someoneā€™s toy

2 Likes

I didnā€™t think I had any talent at lip reading until 2020 rolled around and suddenly I couldnā€™t see anyoneā€™s lips any more. Turns out I rely a lot more on lip reading than I thought, even with the hearing aids.

2 Likes

Belthazar
Of course you are right!
My husband has become deafer than me so we actually have to have close conversations instead of yelling from the other side of the house. We live at the edge of a national forest, so as long as I can hear and listen to owls ā€˜Whoo whooingā€™ and coyotes singing, I feel I can hear just right.
One on one I can hear okay. Now I do agree it would be great to actually pay attention to the dialogue of j dramas and not just read subtitles!

3 Likes

Aaaa cute! !!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.