Have Japanese people tried Wanikani?

Off topic: Your username… :smile::baka::laughing:

2 Likes

@Syphus, That or the Fukushima Daiichi disaster.

@BlueberryPear, I thought it was fitting lol

2 Likes

I don’t know any native Japanese people that have used WaniKani. Probably not useful for them, as mentioned above.

My girlfriend has Japanese parents but grew up in America. She speaks Japanese really well but doesn’t know kanji very well, so she uses WK and says it’s good for her.

Apparently she showed it to her mom (native Japanese) and her mom said something like “why are you paying monthly for access to a kanji dictionary” :rofl:

5 Likes

So… I read all 534 posts from that thread (c" ತ,_ತ)
It was so long, but I couldn’t peel my eyes away from the screen.

2 Likes

Haha :laughing: Glad you got some entertainment out of it at least. :wolf:

1 Like

The Japanese teachers in our language school have WK accounts, but mostly in order to understand why all the students keep referring to nailbats, butchers, and psychopaths.

13 Likes

It’s a conspiracy!!!

Honestly though, my college language part-time assistant was really good with this stuff and was familiar with the early Wanikani terminology, and it made it so eeeeeasy to talk about radicals when practicing writing the kanji.

The one I will always remember is “pot lid.” And “the other pot lid.” XD

As others have said, it’s based around English mnemonics and uses an order system that assumes 1) you’re fluent in English and 2) not fluent in Japanese. (So it’ll make connections that are helpful for non-native learners but avoid some that would be helpful/more intuitive for native speakers.)

Just not a usage match. I imagine it’d also be too remedial for most people who have been through a Japanese school system, even if they do want to beef up their kanji. Nearly all of WK is about teaching kanji that not knowing would constitute functional illiteracy, rather than just so-so vocabulary.

Well, I remember 亠, but what is the “other pot lid” of which you speak?

The one with a lip on the ends. Like the pot lid on top of 完.

Ahh…I learned that as helmet, so maybe they changed the mnemonic? Anyways, I thought you were going to make a pot joke, since it was in quotes. So in that vein, may I present the following?

7 Likes

WK probably taught it as helmet, but they were too similar so they got glossed together in practice.

Also, for the pun: :tomato: :tomato: :tomato: :tomato: :tomato: :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.