Hashing out the details for reading Murakami Haruki's 1Q84 (Intermediate/Advanced Book)

I had forgotten about that part… had. :frowning_face:

2 Likes

Spoiler for people who have read the book in translation and in entirety:

Is that the part with Fuka-Eri and Tengo?

If so I never even thought of it that way because it would be legal in my country.

2 Likes

I have read it in Japanese in its entirety, but I’ll assume I can reply to that :stuck_out_tongue:
And the answer is no.
I was referring to the cult leader (forgot his name) having sex repeatedly with kids. The description of what that did to the body of the one kid that got temporarily rescued by 青豆’s boss left such an impression on me that I just blocked that memory until now. Apparently I wasn’t the only one.

Edit:

I think it’s in the second part? :thinking: Not sure anymore. It’s pretty far into the story anyway.

3 Likes

Yeah, I forgot all about that part actually!

3 Likes

I bet that’s why I didn’t remember. Maybe there was only mention of it in the first book, no graphics.

1 Like

Sorry. I don’t want to get this too bogged down in content warnings but it might be worth mentioning that some of the stuff surrounding the Christian cult might be upsetting to some people as well.

2 Likes

I’ll put in a more complete list of warnings when I make the first thread. Thanks for mentioning it!

3 Likes

… I think I will not try reading this after all. Thanks for the heads up!

2 Likes

7 Likes

Sorry, it’s been a slightly busy day. Just had dinner, I’ll get started on it soon!

4 Likes

Oh my, how time flies… :open_mouth:

3 Likes

I added a link to the first thread to the top of the OP!

But here it is again for ease of clicking: Book One Chapter 1: 青豆:見かけにだまされないように Haruki Murakami’s 1Q84

7 Likes

Has anyone given “what i talk about when i talk about running” a go? Seems like it would be the easiest Murakami book to get started with.

2 Likes

I only chose this one, because it has been gathering dust in my bookcase all year. Maybe you can nominate it in the intermediate bookclub when they need to choose a new book? Seems like they just settled on one fo rthe foreseeable future, though.

3 Likes

Alright, I think I need to make up my mind and face the bitter truth: My kanji knowledge is unfortunately not sufficient to read this book on paper. :sob:
The first chapter was actually not too bad, but in the second chapter all the discussions around 小松 were just too heavy on unknown kanji, and it just takes too much time for me to read right now…
Therefore I have decided to postpone this book and pick it up again when I’ve gotten to a higher WK level.

4 Likes

Thanks for letting us know! Of course you can jump back in at any time! Do you tend to read very intensively and try to look up any unknown/unsure word, or do you only do so when it seems you can’t follow the story anymore, or you’ve seen the same word twice or thrice?

2 Likes

Usually I look up every word when reading - sometimes I even look up a word when I know the meaning but am unsure about the reading. (Yes, that’s slow, but I deliberately choose it to be that way because this is how I enjoy the text the most.) Of course sometimes I start picking up words and kanji just from reading, if they appear often enough. But in general I’m having a hard time memorizing and retaining Japanese vocab, so it isn’t that easy… :woman_shrugging:

I’m used to using a separate dictionary even when reading an ebook, so I’m used to the slowdown that happens due to my lack of vocab, but I had underestimated the amount of (to me) unknown kanji that are being used, which I can of course look up much faster in an ebook.

So, uh, all I can say is “I’ll be back” :wink:

4 Likes

After a bit of a reading break I am now attempting to catch up (or actually start, as the case may be!) with the book clubs I’m interested in.

Have things been going well? I noticed chapter 2 hasn’t been linked in the op. Did you need to adjust the pace for the difficulty level or did you just link successively in the bi-weekly threads? I have not read the week 1 thread past the initial few posts so as not to spoil the story. It seems like this book is quite an experience judging by even just that. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I forgot to link the second and third chapters up in the OP. I actually didn’t make a thread for chapter 4 :woman_facepalming:. I myself have been behind on the chapters. I’ll try to be better about actually reading this book, and I’ll make a thread for chapter 4 on the weekend. I’m glad to hear you’re still reading!

2 Likes

I added the links! Plus a shiny new one, too!!! Correction: 2 shiny new ones!

1 Like