Harry Potter - Sorcerer's Stone - Do Japanese tranlators ship Harry- Hermi XD

Hi, first of all it’s been a while^^

I was reading Harry Potter in Japanese for the first time and I encountered a sentence which I’ve never seen in both English and Turkish versions. If I did I’d remember because I read it countless times (and I checked it to be sure)

This is the sentence and it’s in “chapter 9 The Midnight Duel”, when Harry and Ron tried to get out at night to duel with Draco. Hermione tries to stop them and she’s wearing a robe.

english version

“A lamp flickered on. It was Hermione Granger, wearing a pink bathrobe and a frown.”

Japanese version

“ランプがポッと現れた。ハーマイオニーだ。ピンクのガウンを着てしかめ面をしている。ピンクが良く似合うなとハリーはぼんやり思った。”

I mean how can a translator can take this much liberty XD Does anyone have any idea how can this happen?

3 Likes

Interesting. Is this the only instance of “imaginative” translation in Japanese HP or are there others? Certainly in the first books (when Hermione and Ron had not started a relationship yet), lots of readers surmised that Harry would end up with Hermione. Even JKR expressed some regrets about that. Still, it doesn’t excuse a translator making up their own extra sentences to go along with their fantasy.

1 Like

I just opened up my Japanese copy on Kindle and searched for that sentence. It’s not there. It stops after ピンクのガウンを着てしかめ面をしている。

What edition are you reading / how are you reading it?

2 Likes

To be honest I found the text files on the net. So whoever uploaded it put some fanfiction in it XD Thanks for checking^^ Now I get it.

2 Likes

I used to ship Harry with Luna, but Hermione can be my second choice :stuck_out_tongue: It seems it wasn’t the translator’s fault^^

Lol’d. I like HP, but something tells me your …ehem… spiked version is better fun.

5 Likes

Yep, I wonder where it’ll lead. Maybe he might choose Hermi in the end😄

2 Likes

Nah, Hermione ended up with that big dude who is actually a prince and then she won the MTV Movie Awards.

5 Likes

Hermione and Snape married?

UPDATE: I should finally finish the books.

4 Likes

This sounds like a fun read! Would you be willing to tell us where we could find it?

I don’t think it’s allowed to share here but if you write the katakana name of the book and txt download, you’ll find it😉

3 Likes

will do!

そうします!

1 Like

1 Like

https://community.wanikani.com/t/%E3%83%8F%E3%83%AA%E3%83%BC%E3%83%9D%E3%83%83%E3%82%BF%E3%83%BC%E3%81%A8%E8%B3%A2%E8%80%85%E3%81%AE%E7%9F%B3/4296

There was that one time…

4 Likes

I had forgotten about that, haha

1 Like

Btw. I was kidding. I read them all in English and German. I do own the Turkish eBooks too but didn’t start. Now I need them in Japanese too.

Wow, that is an impressive feat on so many levels, I feel like that had to earn a sect name, right? Or maybe just a copyright letter?

He received a sect name together with a ban. The Dark Knight he was.

2 Likes

It’s a great way to improve your reading since an HP reader usually knows the book word by word☺ You should read the Turkish books, Sevin Okyay did a great job😉

I found another one. I guess Harry is little by litte falling for Hermione XD

ハーマイオニーは次のクラスに出て来なかったし、その日の午後は一度も見かけなかった。ハロウィーンのご馳走を食べに大広間に向かう途中、パーバティ・パチルがラベンダーに話しているのをハリーは小耳にはさんだ。ハーマイオニーがトイレで泣いていて、一人にしてくれと言ったらしい_。ハリーはハーマイオニーに冷たくしたのをとても後悔した_。ロンは少しバツの悪そうな顔をしたが、大広間でハロウィーンの飾りつけを見た瞬間、ハーマイオニーのことなど二人の頭から吹っ飛んでしまったようだ。

original

Hermione didn’t turn up for the next class and wasn’t seen all afternoon. On their way down to the Great Hall for the Halloween feast, Harry and Ron overheard Parvati Patil telling her friend Lavender that Hermione was crying in the girls’ bathroom and wanted to be left alone. Ron looked still more awkward at this, but a moment later they had entered the Great Hall, where the Halloween decorations put Hermione out of their minds.

2 Likes