Happiness Week 6 - Absolute Beginners Book Club

hmmmm it doesn't seem so to me

While I find Deepl helpful in some cases, I don’t think it’s reliable. It might hint you in the right direction, but I feel it’s only useful if after seeing the Deepl translation you can figure out why. Also, it seems to give different results to different users for some reason - I get a different translation:

That’s an interesting point of view. I haven’t read ahead, but somehow they don’t seem to look alike to me. The vampire girl has somewhat long hair, and seems to care little for her appearance, and seems to live wildly on the streets or something along those lines. This girl has short hair and mild-mannered, and unless this is some sort of vampiric power, I can’t imagine the transformation.

I mean, maybe she knows about vampires and actually realizes what’s going on, and indeed she means 興奮 in that sense - but I have a harder time believing she’s the attacker.

EDIT - Also, she tries to take him to the Infirmary - that makes very little sense if she actually knew what was going on. You’d think she’d offer him blood or something, not a visit to the nurse.

7 Likes

I wasn’t sure what had happened on page 122. At first I thought he’d collapsed on her. The sound effect is ぎゃっ. Jaded network lists the meanings for ぎゃ as ack!!, grab and shriek. So I thought this might mean grab, and suggesting that she grabs him and pulls him towards her rather than him collapsing on her.

Regarding the girl I felt that she interpreted his advances as sexual (we know how horny he is in chapter 1!). I’m not sure whether she genuinely is interested in his advances or if he’s developing some irresistible sexual force as he becomes a vampire. But I like the idea that she might understand he’s a vampire and is drawn towards being bitten!

You can edit your post if you’re not happy with it by clicking the pen icon under the post. Another way of making spoiler tags is clicking the icon that looks like a cog wheel while you are typing and selecting “blur spoiler”.

3 Likes

You read the sound effect wrong. It’s ぎゅっ

1 Like
My translation for this week

p114:

Hey…

Are you alright?

p115:

What happened?

Should I take you…
to the nurse’s office?

It’s fine
Leave me… alone… please

p117:

I’m taking you
To the nurses office

p120:

Nononono
Stopstopstopstop

Bwaha…
ahaha

p125:

So… So…
I’m so sorry

I… such a violent…
I’m really uhm…

p126:

What’s with you?

p127:

Did I excite you so much that you couldn’t resist?

Eh?
Uh…
No…

Who are you? (lit. who are you from which year’s which class, man, that’s a compact question)

Ah
First year, class three, Okazaki Makoto

Anyways, are you alright?

p128:

Huh
I’m first year, class 1, Goshu Yukiko

Questions

p114:
Not sure what that っす at the end of 大丈夫 could be, it gets repeated somewhat on 115, a speech pattern?
Reading further, it seems to be the speech pattern for her.

p121:
What is that たふけへ about? Is it just a sound effect of sorts?

@Micki you sure about the page 112-130 part? Seems like this chapter ends on 128 and 130 is the beginning of the next chapter

Yeah, checked the home thread even, it lists the next week as 129-… and this one as ending on 130, which doesn’t make sense, so probably a typo

Overall not a very text heavy chapter (I think besides week 1, this is sofar true for the entirety of the manga)

4 Likes

It’s a colloqial form of です. The de is swallowed/not pronounced strongly. In the next view sentences she omits the で completely. I mostly see it in male speakers though.

I asked the same question and really liked @sumsum answer Happiness Week 6 - Absolute Beginners Book Club - #4 by sumsum

5 Likes

So it is! Good spot!

Corrected.

It was very tempting when creating the schedule just to read a chapter a week, but I felt it was better to slow it down a bit to a chapter every two weeks to be at absolute beginner pace. It is hard finding a suitable split point for the chapters, there are some uneven splits but hopefully the split points are appropriate story wise. Chapter 5 I’ve scheduled to read all in one week at the end.

4 Likes

I’m not complaining, it’s much easier to keep up with this and BBC and the same time this way, while also translating this one.

1 Like

I was also stumped by the たふけへ at page 121. Google shows a few results for it,
all of them in blog posts / fanfictions / tweets. Judging from the ones I looked at, the
hypothesis it’s a muffled 助けて seems convincing. A couple examples, here:

and in this tweet is used as “誰かたふけへ…。。。”:

8 Likes

What’s funny is I basically just gave up the BBC for this exact reason. A chapter a week of Yoru Cafe is way too much for me. Ironically, I can easily keep up with this ABBC. One is too easy and the other is too hard. :weary:

My method for yoru cafe is having a dictionary, ichi.moe and deepl open on one side of my screen and the book on another. Usually I go from dictionary → ichi.moe → deepl, depending on how little I understand. Well, the amount of times I needed to do the full migration is embarassingly high, but I’m starting to see patterns.

Also, most chapters there are easy front and back, really difficult for one or two pages in the middle, so if you suddenly struggle a lot, it might be that.

1 Like

Another interesting week…

This girl is cracking me up. I kind of interpreted this whole situation as her being kind of flattered/intrigued by what happened. She doesn’t seem scared or upset at all, but wants to know more about him? I was worried we would have another terrible misunderstanding where he gets branded as a pervert, but maybe he’ll get another ally instead.

Excited to read more next week! As always, thanks for the grammar breakdowns and vocabulary discussions. I didn’t check out the vocabulary sheet before reading, and ended up misreading the furigana for 我慢 (がまん) as かまん. I was so frustrated with the dictionary for not helping me out, haha. Those tiny, tiny characters…

11 Likes

I’m convinced it is 助けて because he also says ちがう and やめろ indicating that he cannot control his movement of trying to bite the girl. In the end where he goes for the bite his tongue gets forced down into his mouth. And the す and て sounds can only be made when the tongue is up. If you try to pronounce them with your tongue down they will also come out as ふ and へ. That’s my theory anyway.

Edit: also notice that け can be pronounced with the tongue down which is why it didn’t change.

5 Likes

Seems that Makoto has a new friend! Maybe leaning more towards love interest. They have the “?!?!?!” and teasing dynamic going on, which I like.

4 Likes

Just finished reading this week’s. I’m really liking Gosho’s character design. It seems like she’s going to be a rather oddball of a character (in a good way, I’m digging it) given how she reacted to the situation. In another timeline where it’s someone else instead of Gosho, it might have ended in a scream and a punch straight into Okazaki’s face, hah. Maaaybe Gosho might just be the one who Okazaki can talk to about his situation since she doesn’t seem like she’ll be fazed by it?

And thanks everyone for asking and giving great answers regarding たふけへ. I completely missed it the first time I read it.

10 Likes

Heeeey, I almost caught up! I’m gonna read this part tomorrow.

5 Likes

I went from “can I stop” to almost falling behind :crazy_face:
Got it done just in time though!

And it is getting interesting! I’m so glad I picked these up!

4 Likes

The week 7 thread is up! On to chapter 4:

3 Likes

I asked for help on this topic on hinative.com and some native speakers agreed that it does in fact mean 助けて. So there you go. (for their answers: What is the meaning of "たふけへ"? - Question about Japanese | HiNative)

3 Likes

Thank you for checking and sharing! (and I’m slightly proud I got that right :tada: gaining some intuition!)

1 Like

Tomorrow turned to “next week” but hey, at least I’m reading.

5 Likes