Happiness Volume 1 (Absolute Beginner Book Club)

Good morning/ evening everyone fellow japanese learners and professors,

I have a question. I’d like to join the book club and buy the paper edition of this comic.
I’m a bit late, I know…
Does anyone know if and where I can buy it in the UE or UK with UE shipping? I looked for something on amazon but couldnt find anything :tired_face:

1 Like

Hi!
I order nearly everything (too much in comparison of what i can understand) on verasia.
Happiness is not actually on the site but there is an email on the contact page where you can ask for it. Surely a little longer but it can be an option if don’t find it somewhere else.
And if the book club continue on the next volumes you will have time to catch up.

2 Likes

I don’t know if I’ll be able to get happines but this site is useful for sure, thanks!

1 Like

Second hand editions from Manga republic or Amazon were the main places I think people got physical copies from. I did see on eBay as a set of ten if you wanted to buy all ten volumes!

2 Likes

Doesn anyone knows the ISBN of the first volume? I sent an email to verasia.eu and they asked it to check for order availability

from amazon.co.jp

• ISBN-10 ‏ : ‎ 4063954447
  • ISBN-13 ‏ : ‎ 978-4063954449
2 Likes

Thanks a lot, I struggled finding these :pray:

Penultimate week!

2 Likes

A few people have mentioned interest in continuing to read the next volumes. Does anyone want to volunteer to run this? It’s a fairly simple job just needs someone to set things up.

1 Like

I nominate @Micki seems like a worthy person to do the job.

1 Like

As Captain America so nicely demonstrated, more than one person can be worthy enough…

The spin off book club doesn’t have to happen. But if it is going to happen it needs someone to spend just a little time organising it. I would suggest this involves making an overarching home thread for running the group from, and then just creating a single thread for each volume. It doesn’t need all the effort that goes into starting a new book, it’s really just picking up from where we are now.

4 Likes

If a spin off book club happen i will certainly follow it at least until vol3 as i got them for free.

This is my first experience of book club and i’ve notice that it’s better for me to stay a little behind to have all the support of the spreadsheet and grammar discussions already aviable.

I’m mostly a silent reader and don’t participate much but still the book club is very usefull.

1 Like

I can run a Happiness offshoot club if nobody more enthusiastic volunteers. It doesn’t sound like too much work, just a few decisions to make like the reading schedule.

11 Likes

We made it to the final week! Well done everyone who got here. We still had 52 active readers at the penultimate week check in which may be a record for the club!

And thanks to @msbrown for volunteering to run an offshoot book club for those who are keen to carry on reading!

7 Likes

Main thread for the ハピネス offshoot is up!

Let me know if I missed anything. It’s organized a bit differently, but I’m hoping it’s really easy to find things.

15 Likes

That looks fantastic. Thank you @msbrown!

5 Likes

So we finished volume 1! Great to see that so far 25 readers have said this is the first time they finished a Japanese book!

Thanks to everyone who contributed to making this a fun book club, and to @msbrown for organising the follow on reading club.

Some polls to round us off:

How do you rate ハピネス volume 1?
  • :star:
  • :star::star:
  • :star::star::star:
  • :star::star::star::star:
  • :star::star::star::star::star:

0 voters

What were your favourite things about the book? (can pick more than 1)
  • The art
  • The story
  • Approachable language
  • Low text density
  • Vampires!

0 voters

Favourite character?
  • Vampire girl
  • Makoto Okazaki
  • Nunota (school friend)
  • Yukiko Gosho (female friend)
  • Yuuki (bully)
  • Nao Shiraishi (bully’s female friend)

0 voters

What would you choose?
  • 死ぬ?
  • 同じになる
  • Still don’t know…
  • I’ll need to find out what happens next before deciding!

0 voters

5 Likes

Man, all my votes being the most common, I’m as average as possible

3 Likes

All mine were pretty much seconds, so I guess I’m “second rate”, LOL.

6 Likes

Really enjoyed the polls, thank you!

1 Like