Happiness Volume 1 (Absolute Beginner Book Club)

Maybe someone else knows of another option, but if Manga-republic don’t work, I think you’re gonna have to go digital, unless you’re willing to pay unreasonable amounts for it on amazon.

2 Likes

Can’t wait for the beginning! I hope I’ll have managed to finish Genki I by March to have a decent grammar lvl. Just bought a paper book on Manga-republic, thankfully shipping to central Europe is available.
See you all in March! :hugs:

5 Likes

It looks like there are some copies available on ebay for around US $20 after shipping: happiness manga in Single Volumes: Search Result | eBay

2 Likes

I’m looking forward to this one !

3 Likes

The same thing happened to me (also in Canada).

I looked everywhere and it seems we’re out of luck…

Personally, I’ll wait for the restrictions to end. Here’s to hoping it’s before the start date!

2 Likes

Hmmm, interesting…

So I looked at @eieio’s original nomination post here.

It seems the character sizes are fairly small. Maybe the physical copy size is bigger?

Please share your thoughts, much thanks!

The pics were downloaded from a preview.
I think the actual version is bigger.

1 Like

I’ll have received my paper copy by the end of next week. I can let you know then.

1 Like

Ohh I’ve read this one before, really liked it (I remember I even made a thread asking a question about it lol)

I’m gonna try to join in so I can read it again

P.S: Gosho best girl

4 Likes

I’m hoping I am able to follow what’s happening by then. Still a newbie (emphasis on new). Working on Tae Kim, WK, and some Anki vocab, but haven’t really read anything yet. At this point even though I’m enjoying the process, I don’t understand much yet. We’ll see how I’m doing in March :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Started Wanikani a couple of weeks back, looking forward to joining in (if slowly at first!)

7 Likes

Leaving the comment, so I won’t miss the start. This book looks like a great pick for my first one. :hugs:

5 Likes

I want to give some insight into the mangaka of the manga HAPPINESS, Shūzō Oshimi, 押見 修造.

I read a few of his works, English version. Including The Flowers of Evil, Inside Mari, Happiness, and Blood on the Tracks.

I can say, I am quite a fan of his work, most of which are psychological thrillers.

On another note, can anyone confirm the size of the characters? Is it small, manageable, or whatnot?

8 Likes

I would have to check again to be sure, but I think they were easily readable, even the furigana part.

3 Likes

I read the first few volumes of Inside Mari myself recently. I completely failed to realize it’s the same author until you pointed it out - now I’m definitely looking forward to this :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I have the bookwalker version and I scanned the first chapter briefly. I had to zoom in a bit, but I don’t see any furigana that is difficult to make out. Resolution seems at least on par with other digital manga I’ve read.

Screenshot_2022-01-15_10-09-07

5 Likes

I think I will be joining this book club. It’ll be my first ever longer read in Japanese (and first manga in maybe 12 years?) so definitely a challenge. Exciting!

8 Likes

If I’m still alive and around here by then, I’ll join to motivate myself to read outside the typical graded books.

5 Likes

Well, I’ve never read a manga before, so doing it in Japanese the first time should be fun. Hopefully I’ll be able to do it at my level (darned near absolute beginner).

9 Likes

Just ordered a physical copy from Manga Republic
I wasn’t able to keep up with Mitsuboshi Colors, but I’d really like to (be able to) read (a) Manga(s)
Hoping the physical copy will help me keep at it :see_no_evil:

5 Likes