Halfway of no way?

Look at those poor birds. Stumbling all over each other, trampling themselves to death, only trying to reach the top of ふじ山. But congrats!

1 Like

Yesterday I set the target of 300 reviews at the end of today, but it seems that I won’t make it. Will end up with 390, but will hopefully catch up tomorrow :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

As much as I see your point, I think everyone publishes their level 60 post when they hit level 60, not when they actually finish the contents for that level (if there is anything there. I wouldn’t know because I haven’t used the WK programme). So technically… there are 59 levels, and you’re halfway through… somewhere around mid-level 30? :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

There is, but that’s still what people do, yes :grin:

3 Likes

That is unfortunate, I must agree. But at least you’re finishing with 5 reviews less than yesterday. However small the progress may be - it still counts as a victory! Are you doing new lessons or waiting?

2 Likes

Yeah, the question is, what is the cutoff point?
If you want to lesson half the items (4449 currently) in WK, you reach that somewhere during level 28, so the level 29 e-mail could already state you’re at the halfway point (you will need some lvl 28 vocab to get to half though, radical/kanji is not enough).
In terms of levels the halfway point is 31, where hell begins.
In terms of lessoned kanji, you don’t get to the halfway point (1028 kanji currently) until the middle of level 31, so the lvl 32 e-mail is the first that could claim it.
But if you want to burn everything, the most obvious halfway point is… reaching the end of your lessons. With that measuring stick, most of the cake threads are actually made prior to the halfway point :see_no_evil:

None of these ways of measuring put the halfway point at 30 though :smile:

7 Likes

I really think it’s just that there’s an appeal to getting the email when your level is a nice round number (30) that’s exactly half the maximum level (60). It may not be accurate, but if you don’t think too much about it, you’ll just feel good? HAHAHA.

4 Likes

I didn’t feel like doing lessons yesterday, I’ll probably do three today.

1 Like

Hi! Where does this cool graphic come from??

2 Likes

It’s @rwesterhof’s Dashboard Cockpit

5 Likes

Personally, I wouldn’t start any before my review count was at 0, but I was just curious.
Btw, I actually had another question for you: How did your profile picture come about? Is it a meme?

2 Likes

Wow, only 90 reviews per day? Over the last week, I’ve averaged 292 reviews per day. There was one day when I had nearly 400 reviews. I do multiple review sessions per day so they don’t pile up, but it still gets pretty disheartening at times.

P.S. I added date filters to my stats calculator so you can easily see how many reviews you had in the last 24 hours, week, two weeks, etc. Right now, I’ve done 316 reviews in the last 24 hours and 2046 in the last week.

As for the OP, yes, level 31 is the actual halfway point. But most people can’t count and it feels better to celebrate a round number, so I guess it makes sense to send the email out at level 30 instead.

To be honest, I don’t remember any more how Nic Cage became my avatar. My first avatar was Beyoncé, which @Glias hated (the avatar, not Beyoncé)

3 Likes

That’s what the heatmap script is telling me. Obviously it’s continually increasing and my burned reviews haven’t even started yet, so my that’s why my number is still relatively low. Also, I’d say that I’m only going at about half the max speed.

1 Like

Ah, it’s the national treasure! Now I recognize him, as well.

1 Like

Beyoncé wasn’t your first avatar… just the first one that made me go

5 Likes

Yeah, do you remember my first avatar then?

Ahh, you’re still at the low levels. Just wait until it gets really hard. Also, going slower helps a lot, I’m sure. It looks like you’ve been doing Wanikani for 80 days so far and am level 9.

For comparison, I hit level 9 after about 51 days. At the time I reached level 9, I had done around 8100 reviews total, or about 160 per day with an 86.8% overall accuracy rate. Today, I’ve done a total of 40908 reviews, or about 222 per day, with an 85.1% overall accuracy rate.

However, doing averages over the entire time at WK leads to misleading numbers because it starts out really slow and gets much harder over time (which also means more leeches and more reviews piling up). For example, over the last two weeks, I’ve done 3897 reviews (278 per day) with a 83.4% accuracy rate. (Even that average is brought up by all the easy radical and kanji reviews. My vocab accuracy rate for the last two weeks is only 80%)

1 Like

…and there I was thinking - wait for it - your avatar featured a picture of the pope. Or a pope, I’m not up to date on that subject. Nic Cage though, that’s funny :smiley:

1 Like

Some kind of nondescript human

2 Likes