シャドーハウス 👧🏼 👤 | Week 1 Discussion

Chapter 1: ケイトとエミリコ

Start Date: 2022-07-15T15:00:00Z
Next Week: Chapter 2

Cover

シャドーハウス Home Thread

Vocabulary List

Please read the editing guidelines in the first sheet before adding any words!

Discussion Guidelines

• Please blur out major events in the current week’s pages, and any content from later in the book/series, like this: [spoiler]texthere[/spoiler]

• When asking for help, please mention the page number.

• To you lurkers out there: join the conversation, it’s fun!

Participants

Mark your participation status by voting in this poll:

• I’m reading along
  • I’m planning to catch up later
  • I’m skipping this book

0 voters

If you’ve read it before but will join in the discussion (or have read ahead), please select “I’m reading along”!

7 Likes

This is absolutely cute, such a heartwarming start to the story

Especially liked the joke at the end… once I understood it of course

10 Likes

For those who have bought the Ebook - colour or black and white?

I’ve read the first week’s reading and will probably buy.

4 Likes

I think the detail of the settings/backgrounds and shading of the walls/ceilings lend well to having colors to visually distinguish them.

Example Comparisons

image image

Aside from that, the color version of this series looks to be really well done. Maybe not quite up to the level of the Sailormoon colorization, but much higher quality than the SpyxFamily colorization.

9 Likes

I read the first two volumes in black and white since they were free copies, but I read volumes 3-9 in color and it was great. I think it’s really well done.

There are previews of the color version as well if you want to see for yourself before deciding.

7 Likes

I did already read this chapter when looking at the preview when deciding which to vote on - got a bit too absorbed in it haha

4 Likes

Thanks - I probably will go with colour but an interesting thing I find with the above examples is that the black and white is almost easier to look at, due to some of the dark shades used.

3 Likes

I actually didn’t like it.

I get it, she has a hard time telling what she’s doing since her body is black. It’s an ok joke, if it made sense. We can’t see where she’s looking because something (I don’t remember if Emiliko or a chair) is blocking the view, but Emiliko can. Kate literally says, look at my clothes… her hair seems to be long, you can’t be looking at someone and see that their hair is falling over their clothes like that and think, this is the front.

Am I missing something, or am I just no fun?

This author excels at color, I wouldn’t do them the disservice of reading it black and white.

3 Likes

I think this is the first time they spent any meaningful amount of time talking, she might not be very good at telling what’s the back and what’s the front of her clothes. Also, she has her hands behind her back that sorta looks like she has that in front of her. And hair can go both ways, it it covers her clothes at the back, one more reason she might have thought it’s her front. Though I like it because it’s simply cute

3 Likes

I also didn’t get that it was supposed to be funny. When I read the other person’s reply stating that it was funny I thought that I might’ve misunderstood since I only started getting back into Japanese recently (reset to level 12 from 46). After re-reading it a couple of times, I realised that I just might be no fun hahahaha

4 Likes

You can actually see her looking out of the window in a previous panel, but it’s likely that looking at her head-on makes it hard to tell since you don’t have the depth perception to tell which way she’s facing. Other than the clothes - the joke being the Emiriko doesn’t pay attention to the clothes and just says she saw her laugh to make her feel better

3 Likes

I saw it as a combination of:

1. The light coming in through the window caused Kate to appear closer to a silhouette. I’m not certain how it looks in the black and white release, but in the color release the light from the window is quite bright and the back of Kate’s outfit is dark.

2. More importantly, Emiriko is focused on what she thinks is Kate’s face, so she likely didn’t even take notice of the length of her hair.

But I do agree that the joke mostly works because the reader’s view of Kate is obstructed by Emiriko.

2 Likes

Based on your comment and the next chapter’s title, I can think of a reason why. Which is why this sort of comment about future chapters should be spoilered.

3 Likes

it hidden do you want me to modify it more? I didn’t mean to spoil anything for you (or anyone) :bowing_man:

3 Likes

Although I’d hesitate to comment on a later chapter, were I to do so I might word it along the lines of:

Based on I read in chapter two, reference to what I found here.

That way it’s a bit more clear that you’ve hidden something related to a future chapter, rather than the current chapter.

6 Likes

didn’t think I said anything hugely controversial nor really any real spoilers so … just went ahead and deleted the post…didn’t have any ill intentions nor mean to ruffle feathers

apologies if it was “too spoilery”

3 Likes

It can be difficult to tell. Keep in mind, most of us won’t know whether it’s anything of a spoiler or not until we’re on chapter two.

2 Likes

2 Likes

No harm meant and I’m sure no harm done. I’ve seen these sorts of mistakes pop up in a lot of clubs though so @ChristopherFritz It might be worth using a slightly more robust spoiler policy for future weeks—here’s the one that I use for reference.

Example Spoiler Policy

Spoiler Courtesy

Please follow these rules to avoid inadvertent ネタバレ. If you’re unsure whether something should have a spoiler tag, err on the side of using one.

1. Any potential spoiler for the current week’s reading need only be covered by a spoiler tag. Predictions and conjecture made by somebody who has not read ahead still falls into this category.
  2. Any potential spoilers for external sources need to be covered by a spoiler tag and include a label (outside of the spoiler tag) of what might be spoiled. These include but are not limited to: other book club picks, other books, games, movies, anime, etc. I recommend also tagging the severity of the spoiler (for example, I may still look at minor spoilers for something that I don’t intend to read soon).
  3. Any information from later in the book than the current week’s reading (including trigger warnings that haven’t yet manifested) need to be hidden by spoiler tags and labeled as such.
4 Likes

it was covered as a spoiler and it really wasn’t a spoiler … meh whatever :upside_down_face:

3 Likes