Gundam Aggressor - page 78 - well fought!

Happy New Year to you as well. :slight_smile: I’ll be lurking here from time to time. :wink:

1 Like

Page 11

There’s very little dialogue in these opening pages, so I hope no one minds if I speed up the pace a little. Pretty soon there is a lot more text… and doing a page a day then will be a real challenge!

Anyway, the Gouf is under fire and the pilot is talking to a new character on the cockpit monitor…

今だ!! モリス!!
“Now! Morris!!”

了解であります!! ダガー大尉!!
“Roger that, Captain Dagger”

This is great, we now know that the Zeon Officer, the one with the the goggles, is Captain Dagger, and, as we can see in the final panel, he is ordering the new character, Morris, to emerge from the earth, behind the Federation machine.

My only language query is why Morris is saying 了解であります rather than 了解です. The resident expert says it’s probably military usage… she has certainly never heard it used in any Japanese office setting!

2 Likes

I haven’t formally learned the intricacies of である yet, but according to Tae Kim:

If I remember right, in the anime “Ground Defense Force” which features three grade-school military officers, one of them ends her sentences with であります. I thought she was just being overly formal, but now I see why the English dub translates it as “I say”, such as 「了解であります」 translating as “Roger that, I say”. Being from a military family, she speaks in an “official sounding manner”. Looks like the Gundam character speaks in a similar “official sounding manner”.

1 Like

You are truly amazing @ChristopherFritz! Incredible! Thank you so much!
Or rather, putting on my best officer accent: “I say, much obliged, old chap!”

Page 12

そこにもう1機隠れていたか!!
ハイウェイ軍曹の読み通りだ!! ジオン特殊工作部隊の戦法!!

そこに - there + に-particle
もう - another
1機 - 1 + counter for aircraft
隠れていたか - was hidden + か
“Was there another one hidden there?”

ハイウェイ軍曹 - Sergeant Highway
の - possessive
読み通り- 読み reading / prediction, + 通り, [n-suf] in accordance with; following = just as predicted
だ!! - copula
“It is just as Sergeant Highway predicted!”

ジオン特殊工作部隊の戦法!!
“[These are the] tactics of Zeon Special Forces!”

I’d never have been able to crack this page without the help of my gorgeous resident expert with 読み通りand the receptionist at work with “special forces”. Neither can believe I’m reading something that is so obviously too difficult for me! But what they miss is just how much fun it is!

2 Likes

Page 13

Morris speaking:

うおッ! あんなに飛べるのか!?
連邦のMSは!!
くそッ! 逃がすかよォ!!

うおッ! - Ah!
あんなに - to that extent, to that degree
飛べる- 飛ぶ, to fly, to jump, in potential form
のか - The explanation particle + question particle, our old friend from page 5!
“Ah can it [really] fly like that?!”

連邦のMSは!! - a Federation Mobile Suit!!

くそッ! - Rats! or something stronger!
逃がすか - I thought this was “[it] got away” with question particle. But the good people at HiNative tell me it means “I won’t let you get away!” And though I don’t understand the grammar, it certainly fits the context as Morris in the Gouf pursues!
よォ!! - the よ sentence ending particle

“Ah! Can it really fly like that??! A Federation Mobile Suit! Rats! I won’t let you get away!”

Question: Why does 逃がすか mean “I won’t let you get away”? I can’t see it at all!

2 Likes

I don’t have an answer, but I did a Google Image search on it, and it looks like it’s used a bit in various manga:

Hidden for size of images

nigasuka 2013120409

nigasuka higan48_148a

nigasuka 週刊少年チャンピオン-2019年49号

Edit: Also, I found this on the the Twitter hashtag #逃がすかよ:

tora tora tora

3 Likes

Working through it a bit more, here’s what I’m considering:

逃がす 【にがす】 is a transitive verb meaning “to let get away”. The subject (in this case, the speaker I’m sure) saying it means the speaker is letting something get away. Adding かよ (two particles which English resources say together are “expressing doubt”), maybe there’s a sense of “You think I’ll let you get away?”

That of course is me adding extra words that aren’t there. This sometimes happens with any language, where a set phrase has extra words implied, but I don’t want to assume that’s what happening here. I’d be curious to hear if anyone else has more insight or knowledge on it.

(Also, I’m probably over-analyzing. It may be a simple “You’re getting away?!” that has a tone of “I’m not gonna let that happen” to it.)

3 Likes

What an amazing post! Thank you so much! Those images are great! Thank you for posting them here! As for your theory about 逃がすか - it sounds perfect to me! Thanks so much again!

I have no idea how you find the time to contribute to this thread as well as all the other clubs you are involved in, but I’m so glad that you do! Thank you!

That’s basically it. I didn’t know how to express it. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I googled a bit about かよ since I hadn’t really seen it and the sources I found seem to say that it adds 突っ込み (which I see translated as ‘penetration’ or similar.

This Japanese page has a manga example as well: 日本語の語尾「かよ」「のか」「が」の使い方

The text explains だまって笑われてやるかよ!!! saying

「だまって笑われてやるかよ!!!」とは、すなわち「何も文句を言わずに、皆に笑われる存在になってあげようか」に対する答えが Yes か No か。もちろん No だ。

Which I make out to something like “Is ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ the answer to the question ‘Will I just quietly let myself be made into a laughing stock by everyone’? Of course it’s ‘No’” :slight_smile:

I’ll add that I can think of a few other grammar points where the answer to the hypothetical question か poses is assumed to be no:

Xもんか/Xものか is a very strong way of saying that X isn’t the case, “Like hell X” or similar.

~てたまるか is very similar in meaning to the above.

Two examples I found lying in my Anki decks:
知るもんか
まだ終わってたまるか

Another thing I’ve noticed (I may be off on this since I’ve seen nothing formal) is that when in English we say something like “What kind of X is that?” meaning “That’s not how you do X!”, in Japanese you can say something like そんなXがあるか?

Like if you say そんな謝り方があるか? it would mean something like “What kind of apology is that?”

4 Likes

Wow! Thank you so much @crihak!
And Happy WaniKani-versary!
Screenshot 2020-01-06 at 10.10.46
Double cake today!

1 Like

Page 14

Captain Dagger:
モリス!! 深追いしすぎだ, 下がってフォーメーションをとれ!!

Morris:
後ろを見せるとは …こいつは 腰ぬけです!!

Captain Dagger:
よせ!! そのMSを甘く見るな!!

Morris:
や…やった!! と…とらえた!!
大尉!! こいつ… 大したことありません!!

Captain Dagger:
モリス!! - Morris!!
深追いしすぎだ - chasing too far; pursuing relentlessly + し (from します) + すき, too much + だ, copula.
下がって - to come down, 下がる, in て-form
フォーメーションを - formation + object particle
とれ!! - this must be the imperative, but of which verb? In English we’d say “get back into formation” or “take formation” so, looking through the とる verbs in Jisho, it might be 採る.
“Morris!! You’re chasing much too far, come back down and get back into formation”

Morris:
後ろを見せる - to turn one’s back (on the enemy)
とは … - indicates word or phrase being defined
こいつは - this guy + は
腰ぬけです!! - is a coward
“To turn his back on the enemy… this guy is a coward!!”

Captain Dagger:
よせ!! - to cease; to desist; to cut it out, 止す, in imperative form
そのMSを - that Mobile Suit + を
甘く見る - to take lightly
な!! - don’t!!
“Cut it out! Don’t underestimate this Mobile Suit!”

Morris:
や…やった!! - oh yes!! (And clearly the dangling first syllable is a feature of this manga!)
と…とらえた!! - to catch, 捉える, in past tense
大尉!! - captain!!
こいつ… - this guy
大したことありません!! - is no big deal!!
“Oh yes!! I’ve got him!! Captain!! This guy is no big deal!!”

You really shouldn’t say things like that! Next thing you know you’ve lost your machine gun and your left arm!

3 Likes

Clearly a jinx. Great translation! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you Kazzeon! :blush: :+1:

1 Like

Double?

Thanks though!

Did you not also get cake for level 60? Or is the cake a lie to keep us motivated?

1 Like

I think the truth/lie status of cakes is pretty well established at this point…

4 Likes

Yet still we dream!

1 Like

Page 16

Morris: あ… あんな 所に…
Guy in tank: 戦車部隊…が…

あ… dangling first syllable (expressing surprise) from next word. From now on I’m ignoring all these!
あんな あんな - such, so, sort of
所に… - I know that 所 has a bundle of meanings, but written in kanji, with the に, here I think it just means place

Morris doesn’t finish his sentence… but he is shocked that in such a place there is a… something… and then the guy who had been firing at him finishes the sentence for him….

戦車部隊 - Tank Unit
…が… - identifier particle

I’m going for this が as a strong identifier particle, giving me this translation….

Morris: “in su…such a place……”
Guy in Tank: “a Tank Unit, is what there is”

So, what place is this? And who is the guy in the tank with the scars?

1 Like