Gundam Aggressor - page 78 - well fought!

Page 60

Captain Dagger (in the Gouf):
見つけたぞ赤帽子!!
きさまだけはこのオレが始末してやる
起動したばかりか? …戦う前から勝負あったな
これが戦場ってもんさ…

見つけたぞ赤帽子!! - found + ぞ + red cap (red cap must be his nickname for the Red Rider)

きさまだけは - きさま + only + topic particle
このオレが - this + me + subject particle
始末してやる - deal with + do

• So many questions! I guess it means “leave this one to me”, but the grammar?!
  • きさま + だけ? この before I? I’m having trouble with all of this!
  • And, I know I’ve seen this before, but why add やる when する is already there?

起動したばかりか? - only just starting up + か

戦う前から勝負あったな - to fight + before + from + game + was + な
“The last time [we] fought it was a game”

これが戦場ってもんさ… - this + but + battlefield + quotation particle + thing + さ (sentence ending particle?)
“But this [time] the thing is a real battlefield” = “but this time it is a real battlefield” = “it’s for real”

Captain Dagger:

I’ve found the Red Cap. Leave this rotter to me!
[The Red Rider activates]
Only just starting up?
The last time we fought it was a game, but this time it’s for real!

1 Like

きさまだけは: Only you
このオレが: this me
始末: cleaning up; disposal (maybe?)
てやる: to do … for (someone of equal or lower status); to do … to (sometimes with negative nuance)​Usually written using kana alone, after the -te form of a verb

So, I think it translates to: “(The great) I shall do (only) you the favor of disposing of you.”
Or at least something along those lines. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Also, this feels like he’s talking to the Red Rider, so the next part is continuing that.

“I found you, Red Cap!”

1 Like

That’s brilliant! I had it, but I’d never have been able to break it down like that! Thank you so much Kazzeon! And thanks for the link to that article on このオレ! I’m reaching for my pens right now! Much appreciated! Thank you so much for your help and support!

Oh, and yes…

Of course, that makes more sense than “I found the Red Cap”, and much more dramatic! Thank you again so much!

1 Like

It’s all that anime experience. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Page 61

Chase [in the cockpit of the Red Rider, speaking to Elsa]:
強い衝撃がくるぞ!! しっかりつかまってて!!

強い衝撃がくるぞ - strong + shock + が + to come + ぞ
しっかりつかまってて - hold on tight

Chase:
There’s going to be a strong impact! Hold on tight!

And with that Dagger in the Gouf opens fire on Chase and Elsa in the Red Rider and then jumps towards them. We turn over to see on the next two pages the Red Rider crashing into the ground and the Gouf standing over it, arms spread from the impact of landing. In the background, on the cliff, a Magella Attack tank has appeared and is engaged in battle. To the side of the Red Rider, lucky to be alive, two Federation soldiers run from their tent. Things don’t look good for Chase and Elsa.

2 Likes

Page 64

The Gouf brings down its machine gun fingers and, under the full moon, points them at the prone Red Rider.

Dagger:
この犬めが!!
死んでもヴァルハラに行けると思うな!!

この犬めが - this + dog + め + が

• I wonder if this この is the same grammar as the このオレ on page 60, only instead of being used to inflate someone, it’s being used to put them down?
  • As for め… unbelievable! I was re-reading some Yotsuba this week and came across this め (derogatory suffix, referring to others) when she curses Yanda (vol. 5, p. 107) and falls in a bin! And I remembered it! Thanks Yotsuba!

死んでも - even if one dies
ヴァルハラに - to Valhalla
行ける - can go
と - quotation particle
思うな - don’t think
Don’t think you can go to Valhalla if you die (but perhaps “when” would fit the context better?)

Dagger:
You rotten dog!
Don’t think you can go to Valhalla when you die!

An interesting insight into the Zeon belief system there, but one that totally fits the world of the Universal Century. And with that, we have a small picture of the Red Rider on the next page, and on page 67, another shot of the Gouf standing over it, as the opening page to chapter two!

And now, with Chase and Elsa in such terrible danger, I’m taking a week off! I’m ahead of schedule and utterly exhausted, so I’m going to have a break and come back to it fresh, all being well, next week! Thank you so much everyone for all your help and support so far, and hopefully see you again soon!

Next post: next week… chapter two!

1 Like

I’d say to go with your initial translation and make it “even if you die”. :slight_smile:

Cliffhangers! No! :weary:

2 Likes

Thank you again Kazzeon!

If only their battle had taken place on the top of the cliff rather than below it, this could have been literally true!

Thanks again so much for all your help right through chapter one Kazzeon, and thank you everyone else too, and see you all again next week (after I’ve had a good rest!) for chapter two! :+1: :smiley:

2 Likes

You’ve absolutely rampaged through the first chapter, compared to the planned schedule. You’re what, a third of the way through already? And it’s only taken just over a month.

3 Likes

Cheers @Radish8! Yes, I’ve been driving myself a bit crazy with it to be honest! But I’m going to have a bit of a break for a few days now! Plus, we’re moving house in a couple of weeks so that will certainly see me be less manic! Thanks so much for following along and for your support!

4 Likes

Page 67

第2話
はじめての戦場

Chapter 2
The First Battlefield

2 Likes

Page 68

Dagger:
この犬めが!!
死んでもヴァルハラに行けると思うな!!

Chase:
エルザ!! すまない!!

Elsa:
え?

Chase:
これからする戦いは, 君をとてもつらい目にあらせると思う

この犬めが - You rotten dog!
死んでもヴァルハラに行けると思うな! - Don’t think you can go to Valhalla even if you die!

エルザ!! すまない - Elsa! Sorry!
え? - eh?

これからする戦いは - after this + to do + battle + topic particle
君を - you + object particle
とても - very
つらい目にあらせる - to have a hard time of it, 辛い目に会う in causative form (not sure what this actually means!)
と思う - quotation particle + think
I think the battle we are about to do + will be very tough for you

Dagger:
You rotten dog!
Don’t think you can go to Valhalla if you die!

Chase:
Elsa, I’m sorry!

Elsa:
Eh?

Chase:
I think the battle we’re about to have will be really tough on you.

1 Like

Page 69

Dagger:
バルカンをこの距離で回避できるか?

バルカンを - Vulcans + を + this range + で
回避できるか - avoidance + can do + question particle

Dagger:
Can you avoid the Vulcans at this range?

Vulcans are small weapons usually in a Mobile Suit’s head, but in the Gouf they are located in the fingers of the left hand. They are not the most powerful of weapons, but Dagger is at very close range! But then, with gritted teeth, Chase fires off the boosters on the Red Rider’s backpack and it starts to lift up off the ground! Then, on page 70, in shock, Dagger cries out ぬあッ!? and fires off his Vulcans, but, knocked off balance by the Red Rider as it starts moving up, they miss.

1 Like

Page 71

Chase:
まだァーッ!!

Dagger:
やるな!! きさまーッ!!

まだァーッ!! - we’ve not finished yet!
やるな!! きさまーッ!! -Don’t do it! Rotter!

Chase [pushing down on a pedal and sending the Red Rider up fast, talking to Elsa]:
We’ve not finished yet!

Dagger [looking at the Red Rider approaching his cockpit]:
Don’t do it! Rotter!

And on the next two pages we see the Red Rider slam its right shoulder in to the Gouf, which is knocked backwards, letting go of the machine gun in its right hand. Troops below them are running around in panic.

Page 74

Dagger:
まさか!! ジェネレーターの出力がここまで高いMSだとは…

Chase:
もらったぞ!!

まさか!! - no way!!

ジェネレーターの出力が - generator’s output + が
ここまで高いMSだとは…
here + until + high + MS + copula + とは indicating phrase to be defined
I’m guessing he’s defining the phrase to ask about it….
[how] high is the output of this MS’s generator?
“How powerful is this Mobile Suit?!”

もらったぞ!! - 貰う, to receive, in past tense + ぞ
Chase says this as he opens fire on the Gouf. Is he saying “take this”, or “I’ve got this”…? I suspect it’s the latter, but just want to check.

Dagger:
No way! How much power does this Mobile Suit have?

Chase:
I’ve got this!

But then, in the first picture of page 75, the Red Rider comes under fire from its left, and has its machine gun blasted out of its hand!

Page 75

We see that the attack came from the third Zeon Mobile Suit that appeared on the cliff on page 54, what I believe is a Zaku I, a pretty old machine for this time.

Zaku I pilot:
大尉!! 援護します!!

Chase:
まずい!!

Dagger:
ダリオか?
助かったぞ!!

大尉!! 援護します!! - Captain! [I’ll] cover you!
まずい!! - Oh no!
ダリオか? - Dario + question marker
助かったぞ!! - saved + ぞ
I’m not sure about the best way to translate this…
“Saved”!, “I’m saved!”, “I was saved”…?

Zaku I pilot:
I’ll cover you Captain!

Chase:
Oh no!

Dagger:
Is that you Dario?
Saved!

Dagger might be saved, but we turn the page to see that Dario has a very different fate. A massive explosion rips through the centre of the Zaku I, where the cockpit is located. Dagger cries out the pilot’s name, but it’s too late. We see Dario in the first shock of what has happened , and then see that half of his body has been blown away.

1 Like

Page 77

We see what happened…. The Zaku I was destroyed, just as with Morris in the first few pages of the manga, by Highway in one of the tanks.

Highway:
よし, コックピット直撃だ!

よし - alright
コックピット - cockpit
直撃 - cockpit
だ - copula

Allright! A direct hit on the cockpit!

And with that, the Zaku I crashes to the ground. First Morris, now Dario. In First Gundam, pretty much the most dangerous job is to be a wing-man for Char, seems the same is true for Dagger in this story! What is different is the interesting use of the tank. In both cases the pilots are focused on the Mobile Suit, the last thing they’d expect is an attack from a tank!

Page 78

Chase:
ハイウェイ軍曹

Highway:
よく耐えたチェイス!! なんとか防御陣を備えた!!
背中は戦車隊が守るぞ!

Dagger:
せ…戦車隊だと? もう立て直したのか?
ゲイツ!! ボーディン!! 聞こえるか? 応答しる!!

ハイウェイ軍曹 - Sergeant Highway
よく耐えたチェイス!! - nicely, well + 耐える, to bear, to stand, in past form + Chase
なんとか防御を備えた!!
somehow + defence corps + object particle + “to furnish with” or “to possess” in past tense
Somehow or other you were furnished with a defence corps….???

背中は戦車隊が守るぞ! - back + は + tank corps + が + to defend + ぞ
戦車隊だと? - tank corps + copula + と (conditional と, or quotation と… I’ve no idea?)
もう立て直したのか? - already + restored + explanation particle + question particle
ゲイツ!! ボーディン!! - Gates! Bourdain! (guesses!)
聞こえるか? 応答しる!! - to be audible + か, reply + imperative of する

Chase:
Sergeant Highway

Highway:
Well fought Chase! Somehow or other you got yourself some defence! No worries, the tank corps has got your back!

Dagger:
If that’s the tank unit, have they already restored it?
Gates! Bourdain! Can you hear me? Reply at once!

I have no idea about this translation. What does Dagger mean about the tank unit? Already restored it? Perhaps it was badly damaged in a previous fight before the manga started? There’s a flashback on page 24, when the Aggressor unit saved Sano and the Red Rider, but there’s no sign there that Dagger was involved. Who knows?

And who are the two people he’s calling out to? Three mobile suits arrived, his, Dario’s and once more. Dario is dead, so who is the fourth person?

1 Like
Hitting the brakes

…and admitting defeat.