Gratitude - An Ode to the Wonderful Durtles

@Saibaneko さん、congratulations on your new nyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaice nyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaavatar! :cat2:

Here’s the new upgraded version of Saibane-coin:

Saibanecoin

5 Likes

Here is a little something for everyone here.
A friend in 京都(きょうと) just sent me this お(まも)り named アマビエ who is a three legged mermaid who has been helping 日本人(にほんじん) fight コロナ.
I have heard of her on the news, but this is the first time someone has sent me one.
I am sharing her with you, because you are all my frens, and she will help you fight コロナ too.

8 Likes

When you awaken to your dream

What will you see in your eyes?

• Raison D’etre

Every generation of Wanikani learners has a few stand out leaders who organize, lead and make durtles feel at home with their interactions. This durtle is one of the outstanding leaders from our most recent generation, their name is @quimda san :slight_smile:

Qui san is a soft spoken and natural born leader. Their initiative to create “Level 7 Leaderboard group” thread towards the tail end of 2020 became an accountability and collaboration thread for all the durtles who joined in the last quarter of 2020 and the returning durtles who have reset.

They are also a durtle with a fantastic sense of humor and a lover of EVE music. Thanks for introducing EVE music to me Qui san :grin: Pop into the POLL thread and experience their awesomeness for yourself.

Thanks for being a lovely and lively member of the community Qui san :bowing_woman: :bowing_man: You have bought a new cheer to the poll fam and the forum fam :star_struck: I bestow upon you the title of Eve Durtle

Note: I can see a new generation ROCKSTAR in the making :metal:

7 Likes

I’m sorry but I only just now saw this. Thank you so much! You’re really too kind :orange_heart:

4 Likes

My pleasure danchou :slight_smile:

Also, I posted it just now. I actually allocated the post to you 10 days ago but took an unexpected break due to holidays. So, I restarted the thanking process today and updated the post with actual content. That is why you got the ping today :slight_smile: You are good.

4 Likes

So what drink can I get ya? How about a CosmoPOLLitan or a Moscow Coelacanth?

-Wise Words from a Sage Durtle Coelacanth

“Who am I?”

It is one of the most intriguing and profound philosophical questions of life. Your interactions with this durtle makes you think “Who is this durtle?” and it becomes your overwhelming obsession :joy: This durtle frequently changes their name. While they may change their name, their nature doesn’t change. They are still the same Intelligent, Sassy and Wildly entertaining durtle :grin: It is none other than @santanjirou san :slight_smile:

When I first met Tanjirou san, they were known as “YesWeCoelacanth” and had a frightening profile picture (I don’t want to know what that is :stuck_out_tongue:). Everything changed the moment we interacted. Every group of friends has a person who has the craziest stories, among the POLL fam that durtle is Tanjirou san. Whether it is heating up ramen on laptop battery, eating the spiciest food for the kick of it, posting hilarious Japanese videos, Come what may, you will be entertained :grin:

Tanjirou kun has learnt in multiple countries and they are soon going to be a KyoDai grad (Kyoto Daigaku). I am happy for them to experience the Japanese way of life :slight_smile: They are a hardcore gamer (plays games with JP language settings) and they work as hard on Wanikani as well. They also put the Japanese knowledge to good use by reading delightful light novels as Tenki no Ko, Kimi no Na Wa etc. If I had spent as much time as Tanjirou kun in Japanese, I would be writing this article in Japanese :stuck_out_tongue:

They are a pro at Paticle Physics :wink: and they are involved in the making of one of the biggest anime hits of all time known as “Attack on Durtle” :stuck_out_tongue: If you ever find yourself looking for the right Black Pink gif for any occasion, they are your go-to person :grin:

Their description of POLL thread is probably the truest statement on this forum :wink:
“It’s one of the special features of the POLL thread. You start into a productive morning, have a quick look inside the POLL thread and boom, it’s midnight.” I have experienced it multiple times and can confirm the validity of the theory :joy:

Among all their usernames, their current name of santanjirou suits them the best because they are a joy bringer like Santa and 温かい (atatakai - warm) like Kamado Tanjiro. Thanks for adding joy to our lives Tanjirou san :bowing_man: :bowing_woman: I bestow upon you the title of Atatakai Durtle

9 Likes

I wonder, Who that would be?
My guess is, that would be someone truly ワンderful:

4 Likes

:speak_no_evil: ^^
this is probably one of the nicest things someone has said about me, thank you so much :heart:
you really made my day (and probably my week too :joy:)
it means a lot :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

well deserved! That leaderboard thread has given me so much motivation - thanks so much for organising @quimda!

3 Likes

“Those who contemplate the beauty of the earth find reserves of strength that will endure as long as life lasts. There is symbolic as well as actual beauty in the migration of the birds, the ebb and flow of the tides, the folded bud ready for the spring. There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature - the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after the winter.”

-Rachel Carson

When I was a little kid, one of my favorite shows on Cartoon Network was “Captain Planet.” Nearly 2 decades later, I still hum the title song…

Earth!
Fire!
Wind!
Water!
Heart!

GO PLANET!

With your powers combined I am Captain Planet!

Captain Planet, he’s our hero,
Gonna take pollution down to zero

I am so happy that I remember this title song when I think of this durtle. Because they are someone worthy of the title “Captain Planet”. Among all the durtles I have met in the last 10 months, I haven’t met a durtle who cared about nature as much as this durtle. They are as gentle as summer breeze and as powerful as the greenery protecting our planet. I affectionately refer to them as Midori because they remind me of a wonderful character called Midori Sakurazawa from Chihayafuru. They are none other than @Windgreen san :slight_smile:

I have met Midori san on the POLL thread. They were kind enough to offer me homemade cocoa chocolates :smile: When people are asked what do they fear most, the number one answer is not “Fear of Death” - it is “Fear of Public Speaking”. Midori san also belongs to the above said category, yet they struggled and fought through their anxiety, fears and worked hard to present a brilliant TED talk in front of hundreds of strangers. and it was not just a talk, it was a masterpiece :clap: It was witty, useful and had a clarity of thought that is rare to find. There is only one word to describe such a feat “FABULOUS”. I bow to your patience and perseverance to break through your barriers and fears to help the society :bowing_woman: :bowing_man:

The way they present their advice to overcome anxiety and fears through meditation permeates gentleness through out the conversation. It is non-judgmental, helpful and encouraging to the recipient. I can’t fathom the level of effort that took to reach that stage and still maintain the urge to improve while also staying humble :slight_smile:

If you think that they are all work and no fun then you are sorely mistaken. They are an absolute fun to be around. They draw, color, read and write (I am jelly of their beautiful handwriting :stuck_out_tongue: ). They are also the creator of one of the most creative and entertaining threads called “Stationery Thread”. If you love your stationery, hop over and share your favorites :grin: They also created the “Sticker Durtle” :metal: They sing in Choir and are a massive Pothead Potterhead :raised_hands: There is still a lot more to them. Fun fact: They are also the leader of Team Wind in Olympians XXXII thread.

Midori san, you once said:

I wish I was better at acknowledging and celebrating the achievements I do get

I hope you got better at this, because you are one of the most fantastic people I have ever met and you deserve the praise, satisfaction and happiness :slight_smile: I bestow upon you the title of Captain Planet Durtle

8 Likes

Thank you very much! I won’t write a lot now in this reply but I want you to know that I deeply appreciate your post. It definitely made my start into this day a lot better :smile:

And sorry to all the Attack on Durtle fans that there hasn’t been a new episode last Sunday, especially after last episode’s end

6 Likes

The one who was banned? Or the other one who was banned?

7 Likes

Hahaha. I don’t know either of them, though I do recall reading some of their posts. I was referring to WindGreen san :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Do or do not. There is no try.

-Master Yoda

Shinobu Kocho, Shinobu Sensui, Shinobu Wakamiya… Manga/Anime world is filled with awesome characters called Shinobu. We have such an awesome character among our durtles. It is @ShinobuSagi san :slight_smile:

Shinobu san is “chúng ta” type of person. It is a inclusive way of saying “We” in Vietnamese. I met Shinobu san on the GIF thread and our communication in the last 10 months was through only GIFS (which included the longest GIF spam featuring a single character - Anna Kendrick). It is like having a friend on the same wavelength. No words need to be spoken to get the meaning across :slight_smile:

Shinobu san is a fighter, someone who has been through hard times and fought through them by creating new habits and sticking with them rigorously to move in the right direction. They lead an interesting life as a tour guide in Japan and a teacher in their homeland. They are also the creator of The Mighty chew durtle and Komori Durtle (which looks a lot like me when I am doing reviews :stuck_out_tongue:)

Shinobu san is the kind of person who believes in doing something with all your strength. No trying, only doing. A special thanks for your valuable contributions on mental health and Japanese. It is always fun when you are around and Good luck on N1 :crossed_fingers:

I bestow upon you the title of Doceratops Durtle

8 Likes

Who, luckily, was not (and, hopefully, would never be) banned :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

That is what i thought too when I read that. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I am the bone of my sword

Steel is my body and fire is my blood

I have created over a thousand blades

Unknown to Death,

Nor known to Life.

Have withstood pain to create many weapons

Yet, those hands will never hold anything

So as I pray, Unlimited Blade Works.

In that epic moment a thousand blades appear behind the protagonist. It is an awe-inspiring spectacle followed by one of the most spectacular anime fights. Whether you love or hate FATE series, as an anime fan you can’t help but feel your heart beat faster, your pulse quicken and adrenaline along with excitement surge through your body :smile:

That is the same feeling you experience when this durtle enters the thread. Their gaming skills make Villain NPCs (Non-playing characters) tremble with fear and Villager NPCs bow with reverence. Even in a game where you can earn rewards by killing harmless NPCs, this durtle still treats the NPCs and non-enemy creatures with love and respect. It speaks to the character of this wonderful durtle. It is none other than @TrinityBringer san :slight_smile:

I met Trinity san in the POLL thread. They are probably the most knowledgeable gamer durtle on this forum. And they are always willing to help me and others in a pinch whether it is providing a 3-post buffer or Japanese language help etc. :slight_smile: They have written one of the most useful and detailed posts on “Studying with native material - learn, dissect and mine.” They are learning Japanese, Mandarin and German languages. They are learning Japanese because they want to play Japanese games in Japanese :smile: Pure, Straight and Simple :metal:

If you ever gain the coveted “Regular” status on the forum and are worried that you might lose it, Trinity san has a pro tip for you. “If you want to keep the Regular status, all you need is to scroll by the posts, you didn’t even have to read them! You can just scroll in one hand and watch TV in the other… :joy:” (Reminds me of a certain Potato chip scene from a famous anime :joy: of course without the killing). Fun Fact: Trinity san is a durtle who can summon Koichi to the forum. (We have a screenshot and a post with 64 likes and counting to prove it :wink: )

Thanks for being a part of the community Trinity san :slight_smile: Thanks for sharing your funny stories, sad stories, advice and love. Like the protagonists in the video games, may you always be the victor in the end. I bestow upon you the title of Setzer durtle

8 Likes

:grey_exclamation:Me, reading this post…

shinobusagi=naki

I (or can I now say “we” wihout being weird?) am deeply humbled to receive a mention in this thread. :pray: It’s an amazing thing you’re doing here and I have regularly considered sneaking in a post or two to thank my own helpful Durtles… (which clearly hasn’t happened yet though).

Our struggles are many, but we’ll keep on fighting! :mechanical_arm: Who knows, maybe this will be the year I finally crawl out from under that thick shell and make a few more positive contributions to this fantastic forum - other than brilliant GIFs of course :sunglasses: Seriously, that latest “conversation” was so entertaining I stayed up until 5am for it :joy:

While I must admit to taking a few too many “do not” paths on the road of life, now that I’m [un]officially a Doceratops Durtle, we’ll GO for the win. Thanks, KyokaJiro-san!

(did you know I love alliterations or was that just my luck?)

5 Likes

This brings so many (good!) feelings! :green_heart:

tenor (2)

In situations like this, my instinctive response would be to run and hide… :see_no_evil:

NKW4

But not now. Now I’ll read your words, let them truly sink in, and say… Thank you! :green_heart:

It is with great 光栄 that I receive the Captain Planet Durtle you bestowed upon me! But then, I think you already know how I’m going to respond… :wink:

Thank you, Kyoka san (if I may call you so), for your kindness superpower! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

My pleasure Shinobu san :slight_smile: Thanks for your kind words :blush: Feel free to thank anyone who helped you.

Hahaha. It was the best gif conversation I had in my entire life :smile:

Deciding to discard “do-not” paths is also doing Shinobu san :slight_smile: The battles we chose not to fight are decisions as important as the ones we chose to fight.

There are no coincidences. Everything is according to Keikaku :wink:

Note: Love the Ninja bunny and the Power Ranger flexes muscle

6 Likes