Grammar textbook crosswalk

I don’t think they do.

Yeah, I was a bit unclear. I don’t think it is used in Japanese (but did find some resources where they explain it in Japanese). Just meant that when someone says “waifu” when talking English, they usually think it’s a common katakana word for wife in Japanese.

Ohhh, I suddenly have more reasons to brag

I’d love to see people trying to get that R correctly

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRoma.

3 Likes

Looks like a really good and useful project I’m going to add TRY, minna no nihongo, AIAIJ and chuukyuu e ikou/wo manabou textbooks.

Then we have a lot of dictionaries to correct then :laughing:

Pretty sure term this was a loan word long before western-culture started marrying their favorite anime character. Point taken, it means differently is certain circles…I guess I was using it the traditional ‘pretentious’ way, ha!

Is this just a western phenomenon or are natives even aware?
What Does Waifu Mean? - Japan Powered

Agreed, apologies @xXHanazonoXx

Ehh, sorry to derail even further, but… What? We’re talking specifically about the usage of the word waifu. You didn’t say ワイフ originally. Whatever, I was joking; it was just a funny mistake.

1 Like

My favorite thing about “waifu” is that it is in English a Japanese loanword of an English loanword, with the meaning distorted.

You mean, like wasei eigo?

No those are only a Japanese English loanwords. “Waifu” is an English Japanese English loanword.

2 Likes

Do people actually use the word waifu in a normal English sentence? I suppose I’m just not part of that subculture but I’ve never come across anyone using it.

It is pretty regularly used within anime/manga/visual novel/gaming communities, both ironicly and unironically. And most people outside those communities under 30 would at least recognize the term I would think.

1 Like

Interesting. I’m in my early thirties so I think I must have narrowly missed the boat on waifu.

Here’s a good analytical take on the role of waifus in the anime community:

Perhaps I shouldn’t detail the thread even further but the topic of waifus can’t be just teased and not explored.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.