Grammar textbook crosswalk

I know I have multiple Japanese learning textbooks, and sometimes need the same thing explained in more than one way. Different textbooks explain the same concept in different ways, but it’s not always clear where the same grammar point would be in another text. So I thought about building a simple grammar crosswalk spreadsheet. I’m unaware of a similar resource, but I don’t want to re-create the wheel if it’s already out there.

I put together the framework and have started to fill it out. It is by no means perfect, but if anyone wants to contribute or finds this idea useful, check out the google doc linked below!

8 Likes

Bunpro has links to various textbooks for each grammar point.

4 Likes

Do you even grammar if you don’t include the Dictionary of Japanese Grammar? :slightly_smiling_face:

What exactly does “crosswalk” mean in this context?

3 Likes

Textbooks to add:

• Tobira Beginning Japanese
  • Marugoto A1
  • Marugoto A2
  • Marugoto A2/B1
  • Marugoto B1
  • Marugoto B2
  • Nakama 1
  • Nakama 2
  • The Japanese From Zero! series
  • Dictionary of Japanese Grammar series

:slight_smile:

Never seen romanji for N1 grammar before :slightly_smiling_face:

I may suggest making your list as long as possible and then fill in the gaps with resources with the community’s help. From this list, I can’t tell what is missing nor how the the main list was made.

I think DJG has ~600-700 primary entries but the entire subdivision it definitely alot more, not sure how many but you can count total index in the advance book.

BunPro has ~750 now and probably ~900-1000 once they finish N1 plus there is the request page of missing grammar that can found here

https://japanesetest4you.com/ has a good list too.

From BunPro, I’ve been mainly interested in the grammar lists that could be correlated with Soumatome or Kanzen but it’s not linked yet on their site along with a more complete list of their missing gaps. Quite a few have requested this feature but not everyone has the resources (I’m sure some creative searches could find the indexes though).

1 Like

Romaji.

3 Likes

@Belthazar Crosswalk is a frequently used term in my industry, basically for a spreadsheet listing cross-references of the same item from incompatible sources. So maybe cross-reference is better nomenclature, but it’s habit to call things crosswalks.

@s1212z I mostly pulled the lists from https://japanesetest4you.com/ , and I admit to not checking it thoroughly. I need to throw some credits in there for it for sure. Then there are some additional items that didn’t line up with that list that I manually added from the books as I’ve been going through.

I didn’t remember BunPro having as many references as they do now - that’s great, and I’ll have to look again more often! I’ll also comb through their list and compare/fix levels as I get the chance.

@jpkid888 I just started with the books I personally own, and those are all great suggestions! :slightly_smiling_face:

I guess I mostly had started building this because my brain functions well in spreadsheet format, and wanted to gauge how useful others would find such a collection since I’d likely be doing it for my own learning process anyway.

3 Likes

Ha, a regurgitated loan word. I like to drink Pepushi too. Some sources misspell it like this but it’s still wrong :slightly_frowning_face:. Some loan words I refuse pronounce in Japanese though, at least if they know English. Granted I won’t say ‘karaoke’ with an awful English accent either

@xXHanazonoXx, I think it’s a good idea that can help and everyone could collectively maintain, thanks for starting such a list :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Uh… what?

ローマ字 comes from the Portuguese pronunciation of “Rome”, not the English word “Roman”. Same original source, different pronunciation. But hey, if you want to refuse to pronounce a Japanese word in Japanese, at least pronounce it in Portuguese.

And what part of “ji” is a loanword?

Though, the irony of criticising someone for writing in romaji by writing ローマ字 in romaji is always paradoxically amusing.

5 Likes

You pronounce karaoke the Japanese way when you use it in English?

Probably because my karaoke discussions, not that it’s everyday topic, is not with English natives. I mostly use English pronunciation for Japanese words just to annoy the waifu but hey, look how many English drift into Japanese so it’s fair game. But if my conversation audience uses both languages and it’s a colloquial setting, I like having the choice just to keep the loan words native sometimes.

Seriously? I thought this stemmed from Hepburn era for Romanization but I’m no expert.

Obrigado gozaimasu!

2 Likes

Like a few Portuguese-origin words, ローマ has has been in Japanese long enough that it actually has its own kanji, since it pre-dates the widespread use of katakana for loanwords. It’s 羅馬.

It’s possible that the entire word ローマ字 dates from Hepburn (though I’m having difficulty confirming for certain), but the components were around in Japanese for centuries longer.

1 Like

I do! And karate, too. But I never talk about karaoke or karate with anyone, so…

If it’d qualify, there’s also “Japanese the Manga Way”.

1 Like

Are you saying that typing “romaji” in English is like typing “pepushi”?

ローマ字 is correctly romanized to rōmaji or romaji or roomaji. It’s never been accepted as romanji. And yes if you were transliterating it would be pepushi.

It’s Roman characters in English. Not romanji.

3 Likes

You talk to your waifu?

3 Likes

Only half-jokingly but I really don’t know the etymology . I wasn’t aware of 羅馬 that Belthazar mentioned so maybe ‘no’ but if started in late 19th during Hepburn romanization, then it sounds English through a Japanese filter.

I know, it was a mistake…one of many I make. BUT, it still sticks around and Japanese101 was kind of enough to mistake with me :laughing:

I guess I’ve got the 3D traditional version that talks back :slightly_smiling_face: Another interesting example because it seems this culture evolved from western-anime fans, I wonder if natives know the other meaning of ワイフ or does the meaning only exist for when romanized as ‘waifu’ among English speaking anime fans.

It has only one meaning (the virtual one), which is why I found it amusing. Natives don’t say ワイフ about their wife.

1 Like

I think they weren’t referring to actual wifes, but to anime girls people like. So the queston was: do japanese weebs also refer to their favorite anime girls as waifus?

Also: It’s crazy how this thread was derailed. After I read all the posts, looked back upt to the title and saw the first word was grammar I got confused for a second.

This thesaurus entry doesn’t even bring up the “virtual wife” meaning, and basically summarizes ワイフ’s use in Japanese as kind of a pretentious-sounding expression that isn’t generally very common.

2 Likes