Grammar question on a sentence

誠…うそ偽りのない心。まごころ。

The above is a quote from a note in a history manga for kids… it has simple enough grammar that I can get the gist (and google / jisho on the grammar I don’t know). However, I’m not exactly sure how the 「うそ偽りのない心」works.

Context: this relates to the symbol on the flag of the Shinsengumi, 誠. I know this has to do with the meaning of 誠, but I’m having grammar issues. Please correct anything, but these are my thoughts from what I can gather via google / jisho.org (my grammar is very basic, so apologies):

のない心 seems like it should refer to it not being the word for heart because ‘sincerity’ (まごころ) sounds like it. But I don’t understand why ‘lie’ is used twice with うそ偽り. I’ve read a little on the use of the の+ある form, but it’s not making sense for me.

Apologies if this is a dumb question. My first Japanese teacher (a long time ago) didn’t believe in grammar, so my Japanese textbook now is the first time I’m actually seeing grammar. (I have a love/hate relationship with grammar in languages.)

の can replace が in relative clauses. It’s really not much more complicated than that.

It especially becomes important in longer sentences where you can use it strategically to avoid multiple が’s, which are considered aesthetically unpleasant.

So うそ偽りのない = うそ偽りがない if used in a relative clause, meaning “when used to modify something,” in this case 心.

うそ偽り is not anything repeated, it’s just a compound word.

https://www.weblio.jp/content/嘘偽り

1 Like

I’d swear I hadn’t found a word when I looked for the compound… that’d make sense of why everything wanted 「うそ」in kanji.

Yeah, it’s one of those kanji that is quite common in fiction, but isn’t actually a jouyou kanji, so it often gets rendered in hiragana in things that care about that.

Thank you for the help!! I really need to use weblio more.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.