Grammar Doubt!

Hi everyone :slight_smile: Very new here and I’m liking it till now. I have just started to learn grammar and I had a doubt.
What is the correct way to write “Yumi often comes to my house”. If anyone studies from Genki they might find this sentence familiar :slight_smile: :grin:
This is what I tried: ゆみは よく わたしの うちにいきます.
Since I don’t have the answer key i thought I’d ask on here. Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Since they’re coming over, I would say きます instead :wink: Also, don’t forget to say さん!

5 Likes

As @Saida said, you would probably say きます here, since even more so in Japanese than in English, it is odd to take the perspective of someone else when you are involved. Since if you say いきます, you are taking Yuki’s perspective rather than your own.

Of course, the English text also used “come,” specifically to make you do this.

5 Likes

hi! welcome to wk! ^^, im also kinda new to wk ^^;
you might want to check out the thread for short grammar questions here:
https://community.wanikani.com/t/short-grammar-questions/
posting a new topic works too :smiley:
がんばってね!

4 Likes

oh yes! I totally forgot about san XD. Thank you so much!
@MegaZeroX ah thank you! so when someone else is “coming” in my perspective it’s きます.

1 Like

yes I went through it and I’m so glad there’s a thread for grammar questions

2 Likes

I would also add that if you’re talking about someone coming over to your house, then you probably don’t need わたしの. So, you could get away with:

ゆきさんは うちに よく きます。

Adverbs, as far as I’ve seen, tend to be nearer to the verb, while time slots tend to be closer to the beginning of the sentence. (There are always exceptions, of course.)

And, as others have said, いきます and きます should be said from the perspective of the speaker.

1 Like

ah okay I’ll keep that in mind thank you

Hi, can you tell me the difference between は , オ , の and ガ used after subjects? I haven’t reached the grammar section in WaniKani but I kind of try translating English sentences to Japanese outside. Sometimes I get them correct, sometimes not

1 Like

Wanikani doesn’t have a grammar section.

I assume you mean: は, を, の, and が?

If so, then check out the Particle section on Pomax’s guide:

https://pomax.github.io/nrGrammar/#section-4-Particles

4 Likes

を is for the direct object, or at least what Japanese grammar considers to be it. So it doesn’t get used with the subject.

の is only used after subjects when in a relative clause and the noun directly proceeds the verb

ie: さくらさんの買ったゲームが好き。

“I like the game Sakura bought”

The は vs が usage is very complicated though. The simple abridged explanation for が are that there are XはYが patterns, that が typically gets used when introducing the topic unknown ti the listener, that が can present a neutral statement, that が can sometimes have an academic feel, and that it can be used as exhaustive listening, where the thing marked by GA is the only one (ie: 私が担当です: "I am in charge (and no one else)).

は can of course be used for any part of speech, but when used with the subject, it needs to be something already understood by the listener if it is the topic. It can also be used to emphasize contrast, especially if it breaks either the XはYが pattern or the understood concept pattern, or if it is the second time it appears in the sentence.

For further reading in English, take a look at this: https://www.reddit.com/r/LearnJapanese/comments/n3o8nr/a_thorough_guide_to_は
Yes that subreddit often has really bad and misleading posts but that one is actually good.

For a good Japanese language explanation, take a look at this: 用語内容

2 Likes

Right, thankyou so much.

Thankyou, this was quite helpful

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.