Grammar assistance, almost totally lost

I’m having trouble fully comprehending this sentence : 自分が女性である事や、長く休みを取れない事を考える。

I’m wondering in anyone could help me out ?

I think about being a girl and not being able to take a lengthy vacation (among other things).

The や is non exhausive listing for the two 事 (which both have relative clauses) and that are both the object of 考える.

cf このものやそのものを見ている。 I see this thing and that thing (and other stuff)

Edit. The above (about the two clauses) I am pretty sure is right. But I did some searches on 取れる an cant find any transitive uses, only が. Where did you get this sentence?

4 Likes

Kansai dialect likes to use ‚ya’ instead of ‚da’… so maybe it would be „Since I am of female sex, I think I can’t get a lengthy break” ? Not sure of that at all, just an idea… if it’s a single sentence that’s suppsoed to make sense on its own and out of context, maybe it might be that?

Wouldn’t that just be the potential of 取る? Using が with the potential is probably more preferred if you’re writing for NHK or something, but many young people will tell you that they aren’t even aware that some people think を with the potential is wrong.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.