Graded Readers and Parallel Texts "Book Club"

I started the Oxbow Lvl 2 volume 1 book, grabed it as I left the house today to have something to read on the train…
The first story I managed somewhat, but noticed the leap from Lvl 1. The second story… well… I think I’ll put this one away for a little while longer XD

Their lvl 2 is actually intermediate though, so closer to lvl 3 on others.
I’ll go back to reading lvl 2 on graded readers instead (I do challenge myself with native material in the Book clubs though, but rely heavily on the comments :wink: )

athomasm, that’s exactly what I like about the graded readers–they make you feel like you know something, even if you aren’t that far along with your Japanese study!

にわにわに!

My three year old niece was visiting from Europe yesterday so after we ate the タコ I grilled I read her 西町鋼板の良さん「にわにわに」from the Ask Lvl0 Vol2. It was kinda surprised at how smoothly I could narrate especially since I had only read it once the other day when I couldn’t sleep. Felt really good that I was able to read it with inflection/emotion and seamlessly recap the end of each page in English for her.

Enjoying our group here so far! Thanks all.

I had to return the books (Taishukan volume 2) to the library today :disappointed_relieved:
But I’ll go back and check them out again soon :slightly_smiling_face:

Warning: the story 「象のトンキー」 from ASK Lvl 2 Vol 1 is extremely sad. It’s even worse than 「ハチの話」 from Lvl 1 Vol 1. :sob:

Just read the level 0 story in the White Rabbit Press app. Well, I should say I listened first, trying to see how much I could understand from just listening, see if I could separate it into different words and such. It went better than I expected, but also realized that if I have zero idea what I’m about to hear, then it is much harder. After a couple of paragraphs it was much easier to understand because I already had context. Well imagine that, haha.

I think I looked up 4 words, two words to double check my guess / double check if I was thinking of the right word. The other two were ones I had no idea.

The story was kinda sad, you know proverbs or fables can be. But it is interesting because it seemed to apply to me right now. In two weeks, I get on a plan to Japan, and about a week after that I start Japanese classes at a school there. And I feel this interesting pull to just do all the fun stuff right now, stuff I do in my free time. Because I know more of it will be used for things outside my control, as in I’ll have classes and need to go to them. But when winter comes, eeeh… when lessons starts, I want my mind in the right place and as far along with Japanese as I can!