Graded Readers and Parallel Texts "Book Club"

Yeah, I have a few of them physically as well =)
I just love the bundles cause they constantly add to them at no extra charge! =D
And honestly, that price is fairly low to begin with O_o

2 Likes

As I had the opportunity to read the remaining Ask Tadoku, so I did that. This year I started reading novels in the intermediate book club, and I have to say, these (the lvl 4 ones) were very boring compared to those. I think I “graduated” from tadoku, but they helped me a lot to get this far.

5 Likes

This thread is amazing and I’ll be coming back to it on a non work night! I started reading the pdf and so far I have been able to read everything. I’m in the n5-n4 bracket so probably could read at a level 1 on the graded readers. I really want to read the Ask graded readers but they are a bit out of my price range right now and I feel like the other books I’ve found on Amazon are aimed at n4 and a little difficult. I’m studying genki 2 now so hopefully after that some of the n4 books will be more realistic for me.

3 Likes

Some places are lucky enough to have the readers available at their local public library, so do have a look if there is one nearby.

1 Like

At that stage I would highly recommend Clay and Yumi books.
They have a bit of variety, the Obaasan set should be closer to 1 I think (I have yet to read that specific one myself, but it is aimed as the more beginner one of the bunch)
And honestly find those books a lot more helpful than the Graded Readers, cause while they use more advanced language they also explain it! =D

Link: Frank and the Obaasan Volume 1-2 BUNDLE for Beginners [DIGITAL DOWNLOA
This bundle has more in it and includes the Frank and Obaasan, though you might not need it all it could still be worth it. Better value so I’ll include it: Beri- Beri- Shoshinsha for Beginners of Japanese [Digital Download]
But if money is an issue, as you mentioned, I’d say the first bundle is worth the purchase at least. Note that if(or rather WHEN) they make more books in the series you will continue to receive them by mail for free. This goes for all their bundles and part of why I love them! I’ve gotten SO many free updates!

I’ve bought all their bundles, I collect all their stuff :wink:
Getting through it all will take time though =P

2 Likes

About fifty-five years later I finished volume 1 of level 4, Ask Graded Readers. Surprisingly I think my favorite was the non-fiction about the atom bomb hitting Nagasaki. Not what I expected but I just couldn’t put that one down. One story was boring until the middle/end where it picked up. Another was also interesting but I still found it easy to put down at one point. And one of the stories was super sad. More of the sad stuff, argh.

Two more Ask volumes and I will have read the whole set. I can definitely say that level 4 is overkill and it is much better to just read native material, unless someone really loves the kind of stories Ask have picked, then by all means: go for it.

4 Likes

Oh I feel that way too! I have all the readers, finished some, but not all, and keep thinking “I should pick those up again” but then never do XD
I’ve started a new Reader type book. I’ve been planning on adding them to the list.
I keep finding new stuff and start reading those instead of the old, so I’m still only part way done with everything XD

3 Likes

It is such an easy thing to do. It is like I started Fruits Basket in January (didn’t get very far before I got busy) instead of picking up Sailormoon again, because starting something new just seemed easier. xD

3 Likes

I picked up that one too, cause there was a club for it!
I keep falling in the club trap XD
I join so many I can’t keep up, and rather than finish the past ones I join new ones XD
I’ve only recently been able to say “no, if I don’t own it, I will not join it!” :stuck_out_tongue:
…But I already owned Fruits Basket… ^^;
I was actually glad when the club decided to stop after a few volumes, as people lost interest =P

4 Likes

I didn’t know that. Good to know. ^^ Well, I’m getting back into Sailormoon and finishing that first. Then I might tackle Fruits Basket again, or I’ll pick something else from my library.

3 Likes

I want to finish it some day, but there are more recent stuffs I’d much rather be reading, like Boruto. So will save it for later, and read in my own pace.

3 Likes

Hey y’all graded reader lovers💚

I started a survey about graded reader recommendations for a new article for tofugu.com. Tell me about your favorites and help me (& your fellow Japanese learners) out, please!

6 Likes