Graded Readers and Parallel Texts "Book Club"

If it has the meaning of -ing, it is followed by いる. てcan also be followed by a number of auxiliary verbs, by the way, which mean various different things (depending on which auxiliary verb is used). But if it’s just て, with nothing behind it, then those cases don’t apply.

2 Likes

Another question from the same book.

I get the jist of the sentence “エル got a present too.”
But I cant figure out what the ん in くれたんだ is doing.

4 Likes

The precise meaning would be “But you gave エル a present” (there is nothing in it that says “too”).

For the んだ, it adds an explanatory tone (as if a very subtle “that’s why” was added to the sentence).
I think Wasabi has a very nice explanation:

5 Likes

Ah, thank you. I think I imagined the too because it fit the context haha

4 Likes

I am back with another question

What does でも mean in the context of this sentence? The most common definition I can find for it is “but” which doesn’t make sense.

Translation

“Can we look at the album together?”
Seems to be what is being said.

3 Likes

In this case, でも is used to mean something along the lines of “or something” ^^

[noun] でも [suggestion] is used to suggest or propose something. “Shall we look together at an album or something?”

4 Likes

Ahh, thank you! I guess I need a better means of quick grammar reference

3 Likes

でも | Japanese Grammar SRS (bunpro.jp)

3 Likes

Huh, could have sworn I checked Bunpro but I guess not.

3 Likes

you might have…so much of bp depends on how you search… kana / kanji / english… not to worry…just thought I’d throw it there :wink:

Honestly I read that as で + も
Let’s also look in the album together… same idea but not the right grammar so good review for me too

4 Likes

Ohh that makes more sense で being at, and も being also? I thought で meaning at was for places.

5 Likes

it is also for places… isn’t learning Japanese great haha… mind you what I was thinking is how I first read it disregarding any grammar I apparently should have remembered :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

で id also for means of doing things. ^^ バスで学校に行った。“I went to school by bus.”

5 Likes

Thats exactly how I read it too. But my grammar is still lacking =P

4 Likes

And today I finished the last booklet in level 4 of Ask Graded Readers. Unless they have released new ones since I bought them, I have now read all they have released on paper in this series. All 3 volumes for every level (0-4).

It has been a journey.

If I had to pick one favorite story from all, it would be 坊っちゃん (上下, aka two booklets to tell one story), originally written by Soseki, but obviously simplified and shortened to be in volume 3 of level 4. It was also the hardest story of all.

Admittedly though, it has been a long time since I read level 0-2, and I remember the fun police man volumes (Ryou-san I think his name was) pretty well too. And there were some good fairy tales in level 2 and 3 as far as I can recall.

If I was gonna give a recommendation going forward, I would say pick level 0 or level 1 to start reading and skip the other one. Go directly to level 2 after that if you want to continue with graded readers. By the time you hit level 3 and 4, you can definitely struggle through easy native content, so it is entirely possibly to stop after level 2.

However, I have appreciated the +1 level of difficulty with the graded readers. Especially this last/third volume of level 4 helped solidified a lot of grammar points that I sorta knew, and I got to read a longer classical work (there are several classic authors throughout the later levels but only short stories).

I feel like 坊っちゃん is closer to what real native Japanese is like than any other booklet in the later levels. (Although I’m sure it is simplified a lot, having been written over a century ago, and also the original being more than double the length of the story as presented in the Ask.)

The other booklets in volume 3 (of level 4) are easier, one makes you hungry though since it talks about Japanese food. :drooling_face: But should still be good reading practice. Honestly though, easier native content is definitely readable if you can read level 4. (As I said, I think even level 3 might be overkill when it comes to graded readers, but I could certainly argue for it being a good step up in difficulty to help ease the transition to native content. Level 4 is definitely more than is needed, but I’d recommend volume 3 for the excellent content in that one.)

I do have some parallel texts too, but I have no idea when I will tackle those. I don’t see myself getting any other graded readers in the future, nor picking up more parallel texts (unless they happen to be the best way to get a specific story). Instead it is all native content with no extra handholds… except this forum with its book clubs and knowledgeable peoples. :joy:

4 Likes

Glad to hear you say that, as it totally matches my experience. When I tried to read native material for the first time, it was still too hard for me (I tried and dropped Yotsuba and Kiki then). I picked one volume of a Level 2 graded reader, and that somehow made reading click for me. It kickstarted me enough that I was able to dive into native material again afterwards (and I never looked back).

See you in the bookclubs :hugs:

4 Likes

:hugs:

I definitely don’t regret getting all graded readers to start. I’m a bit of completionist at times when I forget how often that leads me to grief. :joy: And it was a slog sometimes. But then there were gems like 坊っちゃん and some excellent fairy tales that made the other ones worth it—kinda.

Honestly, 坊っちゃん (and 四十七人の侍, just give me samurai, the more the better :joy:) was so worth it.

5 Likes

I got all the levels, in more than one set even. But I have yet to read it all (though I try, cause completionist =P )
But I keep getting busy reading native material instead, so yeah, I can see how the last few levels feel close enough to native to not really be needed.
I love the low level ones for being such fun easy reads, making you feel confident in reading.

3 Likes

Well, especially in the case of Ask Graded Readers that are also fairly expensive. Cost/benefit really weights towards native material once you get to level 3/4, but they’ve done me so much good. Plus there are some good stories there, and fairy tales if read in originals can have pretty obtuse language so could be a while before it was possible to read them in native form.

Agreed. They are so much better than the random sentences or mini-situations in textbooks and the like. And still very readable/understandable unlike native material is (at that level of Japanese).

4 Likes

I just noticed the fancy new subarea, Bookclubs!! Wow this was a wanted one! :grin:
Went to move this thread, but it had been moved already :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes