Going slow is faster

Your lessons will only increase as your kanji reach guru level, and as you level up. To unlock new Kanji, you’ll have to do new lessons, so unless you’re exclusively doing kanji lessons the lessons piles shouldn’t stack up too high.

1 Like

Reviews should always be a priority, so that’s fine, and if you’re comfortable with your speed then I would say continue as you are. However, if you want to speed it up a bit, you should be doing a handful of lessons every day, the amount depending on what review load you want later on. If you just keep doing reviews and no lessons, eventually you’ll run out of reviews as they move up SRS levels, which I’m sure you’ve noticed.

Use WaniKani in the way that works best for you! If you like your leveling up speed and workload, then I wouldn’t worry about it :blush:

1 Like

Phew! Good to know! My goal was to significantly get better at the kanji/vocab/radicals thrown at me during reviews before moving on to new lessons, especially because I take a while during lesson time trying to memorize mnemonics and making them stick in my head. So basically I am really slow at my studies. Right now I have 54 lessons waiting for me :upside_down_face: but at least no reviews!

Thanks! That’s reassuring because I was worried I was doing something that wouldn’t be effective for my learning in the long run using Wanikani. I guess I am going to continue leveling up really slowly as long as the material sticks!

I have not been taking my own / this thread’s advice. It’s not that I care about rushing through for any sort of accomplishment, I’m just really into using WK and learning kanji now that I’ve finally found what feels like a good resource for it, so my motivation is high.

However, about 2 months in, at level 10, there are now a handful of vocab words (and even some kanji) that will show up in a review and I just won’t be able to differentiate it from something similar, or I’ll know the reading we learned as kanji but not the kun-yomi with the vocab, etc. Now, who knows–that might be happening whether I was going fast or slow. That’s not really the issue.

The issue is now that I feel only about 90% good on words (which causes anxiety, because if I’m not actually learning what I’m doing, how much will I retain?), and there are a ton of reviews, AND I need to get through whatever thing just unlocked in lessons so that I can start the timer to get to the next level. That’s the part I need to remember to let go of–I just rushed through the kanji for level 10 and will be surprised if I actually learned half of them.

this concept is a Japanese saying :heart_eyes:
"近道は遠道”

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.