Go-to reading - When you don`t know what the reading is, what is your go-to safe bet? Mine is either KOUこう or SHYOU - しょう

When you don`t know what the reading is, what is your go-to safe bet? Mine is either KOUこう or SHYOU - しょう - こう or SHYOU - しょう.

5 Likes

Strictly speaking, I believe しょう is the most common reading.

5 Likes

My answer is “whatever feels like the right reading”, because in many cases I’ve internalized a phonetic component without realizing.

23 Likes

And yeah, I agree, first thing I would guess is a phonetic component, even if it ends up being the wrong one, it has a better chance than a random guess.

4 Likes

Same as the two above.
The problem is when the input box shakes and says “no, you silly goose, put the kun’yomi in instead”
:sweat_smile: “aaaah suuure”

33 Likes

My go to is kou or shi usually. I also tend to pull up the kana keyboard and stare at each one to see if it jogs my memory.

2 Likes

This.

“ahh…they wanted On’yomi…”

I thought that was On’yomi?

17 Likes

If I don’t know it, I won’t guess, I’ll just write いいいいいいいいいいいい and get it wrong :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I generally write さあ - “who knows?”

16 Likes

I do try to guess something that is at least partially correct or phonetically alike. If I do this and it is close I consider it a success because I am half way there. I never look at an incorrect entry as a failure. Everything is a step towards the right answer. However, the first few levels I would automatically put KOU. I don’t do that anymore because I don’t want to accidentally answer correct. Any correct answers need to be intentionally done otherwise I am ultimately short changing my learning.

4 Likes

I usually just go with し so many kanij with shi

3 Likes

When in doubt, WK will しょう me the way!

7 Likes

When I don’t know the answer and I want to fail I type じ. (Don’t know why. I just do.)

1 Like

こういちさん it’s everywhere! Also し.

I gotta read more into the phonetic components but that’s a great tip!

2 Likes

9 Likes

That is what I do too. Haha. いいいいいいい…

2 Likes

I usually randomly enter something, but only because it’s necessary. Actually, I’d rather click a “Man, I don’t know” button these times. After all, if you can’t recall the reading, then getting it right accidentally won’t help memorizing it either.

One funny story: when I was learning the kanji 聞, during a review I couldn’t remember the reading, and put in a random き. To my surprise, WK told me I need the on’yomi reading. I accidentally discovered the kun’yomi…

2 Likes

Isn’t that the music score to Psycho?

5 Likes

I just type お to make sure I get it wrong when I don’t know it. Guessing might work for most people but in the past when I used to guess, sometimes, some wrong guess would get stuck in my mind and I’d keep getting the answer wrong again and again…

4 Likes

Somebody hasn’t gotten to 汚 yet. :stuck_out_tongue:

I do あああ when I really don’t know to make sure I don’t get it right by accident.

3 Likes