Glottal Stops and Word-initial vowels

So I was reading on imabi.net on Ortography and I got stuck trying to understand what they meant with “word-initial vowels”.

They’re talking about Glottal Stops and what I assume to be words that start with vowels?

I’m having some trouble fully understanding this grammar rule.
Can anyone explain it to me?

Link to source.

Could you link to the specific page you’re referring to?

Sorry, should’ve done so initially.
Added! :slight_smile:

A glottal stop is the thing you do when you say “uh oh”, specifically the short pause you do right before you say “oh”, if that makes sense.

Saying that “word-initial vowels are preceded by a glottal stop” is a technical way of saying that when you pronounce words that start with a vowel, you have to make that stop you do in the middle of “uh oh” before saying the word. Like, if you say “free installation”, you do a short pause to mark the beginning of the word “installation”, rather than pronouncing it like “freenstallation”.

Hope that clears it up.

Edit: I would like to add that this is not really a rule you should focus on, I think it will come quite naturally to you. Of course, just like in English, the normal Japanese use of the glottal stop is not as obvious as in the “uh oh” example, so don’t worry about it too much when you’re learning to speak.

4 Likes

Oooooh thank you that makes sense now.

I was just trying to understand what I was reading, :laughing: but now I get it.
Sometimes get stuck om little things I guess.

Thank you so much!

1 Like

I get you, I do the same thing (:

No problem!

1 Like

I would add that it’s often very non-obvious (especially in songs), like when the word preceding を ends with a vowel, for instance in the phrase 日本語を勉強する, but a little clearer in 仕事をする and way clearer in スポーツをする.

But don’t worry about it, @Gamar779043 , it will come naturally :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.