Getting started with jpbd?

I’m guessing you would achieve that by setting it to lock vocabulary that contains kanji you don’t know, but also set it to not teach you new kanji? That way it basically relies on the WK integration to know which kanji you’re familiar with and unlock new vocabulary words accordingly? Is it even possible to set it up that way?

I kind of like that idea. That way I could keep things simple by using WK as my sole kanji learning source, while jpdb provides extra vocabulary for the kanji that I pick up from WK.

1 Like

I wish they also made the opposite possible; exporting stuff to Anki. I remember them talking about adding it over a year ago, but still heard nothing about it.

It’s a pretty awesome site and could benefit greatly from it, but as it stands it’s pretty much useless to me :confused:.

1 Like

Same. Anki for life! :smiley:
(recently on jpdb I’ve enjoyed the statistics on the written forms though, especially how common the kana form is, can help decide whether to learn the kanji for “usually kana” words. Sometimes I copy that and the example sentences to Anki.)

2 Likes

I don’t do any locking, actually. I’m not a believer in the necessity of doing isolated kanji study outside of learning vocab, and stopped using WK entirely for a while after I switched to JPDB. I’ve picked it back up again (as I say, in a very modded way where I’m only doing kanji/radical reviews and lessons) because I enjoy it and have subscription time remaining.

To be honest, jpdb isn’t designed to be used with Anki to learn vocab. It’s all or nothing - you get all the benefits of jpdb once you make the switch. Of course, Anki is just as viable, especially because of how customisable it is with addons and note types.

I’m currently using both with ok results. Yes, it’s not designed for that or very convenient, but it kinda works. I find vocab and info on jpdb, put it in Anki, then after I’ve reviewed the cards I export my Anki deck and import it to jpdb, and the cards are not counted as new anymore.
If I had to only choose one system, I would always choose Anki.

4 Likes

Same, I use jpdb for their stats and frequency lists, but use Anki for SRSing because I’m picky with what I want my cards to be like. Works out better for me than if I was just using one or the other c:

4 Likes

Figured I’d just ask this here : what does the grey coverage thing mean? For example here’s a deck I started a couple of days ago
I’m kind of assuming that the blue one is like stuff you’ve reviewed a couple of times correctly and it counts as you having learned them, but I don’t understand what the other one indicates

1 Like

Yeah, the grey is words you’ve started to SRS but which are still in the “learning” state; the blue is the ones it thinks you “know”; black is words you haven’t even looked at yet. The FAQ doesn’t say exactly what its criteria are for counting a word as known, but my guess is it involves getting it correct enough to move the card up into at least level 2 or 3. (The numbers in the graph on my stats page don’t seem to add up to the number of cards it says I’m still learning, though, so either the definition of learned is more complicated or else the boundary isn’t exactly on a level boundary.)

1 Like

Honestly makes me a little worried about how quickly it thinks I’ve learned a word but idk maybe it’s right. Thanks for the explanation

I guess you could look at it from the point of view of “If I read this book today and run into this word, am I going to recognize it without having to look it up?”. For that a word doesn’t have to have been in the system all that long, as long as you got it right the last few times it came up.

That’s a kanji card. You can disable those in settings. I do WK so I feel like I don’t need to learn Kanji in 2 places at once.

I think the general assumption is these are words you will encounter in the material you are trying to read as opposed to wanikani which is targeting your ability to remember Kanji alone. Which is good because if you read its kind of like cheating the system but making your brain go “hey I do need this.” Jpdb kind of does the opposite and assumes you will see it soon so “learning it” isn’t really as important as just being kind of ready to use it.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.