Happiness Volume 1 (Absolute Beginner Book Club)

Thank you for the heads up about kindle! I think I’ll try it as well. Hard to argue with free!

3 Likes

Ah! I’m so excited to try to read a book! I’ve wanted to, but found children’s material frustrating for reasons that are now obvious to me… Thank you for offering this. I’m excited to challenge myself. (I’m halfway through Genki I right now and have a decent vocabulary built up. This is just the right kind of challenge for the moment.)

2 Likes

My copy arrived from Manga Republic with some cute extras. I’ll definitely order from them again. They emailed me a $5 coupon that expires in a month, so I think I’ll order something else if you guys have any other absolute beginner recommendations.

3 Likes

Oh, it’s free? I’m all out of excuses then. I’ll be joining this book club too!

4 Likes

Thanks for the heads up :blush:

As I got it for free now, I might join in as well.

2 Likes

The absolute beginner book club home thread has links to all our previous reads. Mitsuboshi Colours, the book we are just finishing, has been a fun read and quite approachable for beginners.

3 Likes

Thank you so much!

3 Likes

My copy just came along with a clear book cover to keep it safe! This is super neat, I’m definitely going to be buying things from Manga Republic more when I engage with more book clubs lol

6 Likes

It’s free and I need to start reading more, Guess I’m joining in.

3 Likes

I’m excited to join this. Got the free digital copy and the start of the bookclub lines right up with my master thesis deadline!

5 Likes

Guys there is like 24 hours left to get the book (vol 1,2,3) for free, on bookwalker! Now’s your chance!

I am super excited to participate in this!

6 Likes

I don’t see Happiness listed at all in the free section. I already bought a hard copy, but wouldn’t mind a free second and third volume. Am I missing something?

follow the bookwalker link in the original post, the first 3 volumes are listed for free there

1 Like

Got them, thank you. Strange that they didn’t show up as free when I searched the titles, and in the free section, they didn’t show up. Either way I snagged volumes 2 and 3.

1 Like

Sorry for the spam. Just a clarification since it’s my first book club here. Does the March 5 start date mean that, ideally, we’ll have the first assigned pages (I think 3-19?) read before March 5? In other words, is March 5 when a thread will be created and we’ll jump in to start discussing what we’ve read?

1 Like

March 5th starts the first week. Most people will probably start reading and discussing during that week. You can read the part before then, of course, if you prefer, but that’s when discussion will start.

3 Likes

Thanks for letting me know this was free! Picked up the volumes, I was umming and ahhing about taking part but that settles it.

2 Likes

I picked up a free copy and will be joining too! I tried the Beginner Book Club awhile back, but it was a little too much for me to keep up with. I’m hoping this will be a little more my pace, and that I’ll finally finish my first Japanese media that’s not a graded reader!

5 Likes

I got a copy, I can’t wait for it to start

1 Like

I got my copy from Manga Republic (they most definitely have my future business) on Two’s day but waited until today to open it. Along with a well packaged book, I got some paper back book covers, a bookmark, and an Omikuji. I have to go to work soon so I’ll have to see my fortune later, but what a cool extra!

3 Likes