Genki + Wani-Kani?

Is this a good way to get to a strong start with Japanese? Or should I go a different route? Advice, tips, anything helps!

4 Likes

I would say it’s pretty good! But whatever works for you, really?

2 Likes

That’s my current strategy and I can tell that it works wonders :slight_smile: .

Genki drills core grammar structures with a ton of exercises for both understanding and using them, including creative exercises like writing essays. It also contains a bunch of useful cultural notes and vocab you might need while shopping, getting a haircut, going to the bank, etc.

Genki has the added advantage that after each chapter you get a bunch of kanji in a similar fashion to WaniKani, however, you also get example vocab which covers many more readings.

After you’re done with Genki 1 & 2, the common suggestion is Tobira, which I still have to start, but it’s often recommended by people here.

3 Likes

Awesome, and thank you for sharing Tobira. Having a general path to go is crucial for me to get anywhere so being told about good resources is amazing.

If you feel a bit overwhelmed by the Kanji introduced in Genki, don’t worry about it too much. By level 10 in Wanikani, you will have encountered a large majority of them so focus more on the grammar, sentence structure and pitch accent if it gets difficult.

for me it has been wk only, and since I got to level 19, I started shirimono to focus on grammar only and it has been helping me a lot!

just in case someone doesnt have time or effort to use a book (like me :sweat_smile:)

1 Like

Genki is awesome I am using it myself. It’s just that some of the grammar explanations are misleading. なら doesn’t just mean “only” it has more usages.

The additional uses are covered later in a footnote when discussing 〜たら and 〜ば in conditional sentences (Genki 2, chapter 22). However yes, I agree, that’s not what なら means either and Genki conflates regular conditional “if” with “provided that” and doesn’t cover the full differences between 〜たら and 〜ば either.

That being said, I think conflicting or incompletely covered points one can look up online, like here: https://www.wasabi-jpn.com/

Wasabi has a decent article on conditional statements and their uses.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.