Genki Study Buddies - 「皆さんはGenkiを勉強しています」

Everything should be up and running if people want to start using it.

Ah, I’m not doing the exercises at all. I’ve been neglecting them entirely (so I am not a part of that group of people). I’m happy to have people doing that in this thread, though - that’s essentially what I set it up for! : D

I’m happy to discuss that lesson with you if you like. I’d have to re-read it again to know which points it covered (I don’t remember) or a least look at Jomteon’s notes (from his Sprint thread). I want and need to move onto Lesson 11.

And rather than two texts like you’re going through, I’m also working in conjunction with nihongonomori videos. Don’t recall how far in the first N5-N4 playlist I am (there are two), but that’s the one I make notes about.

1 Like

I’m down for all that discussion happening in the forum.

@Angelic - Would you like me to add the link to the discord in the OP for new people? I can add a caveat “make sure you tell X your WK username!” or something like that?

I feel the same way. Had it been Slack, which I already (rarely) use, I might’ve joined… but already being in 3 of those and I lost touch with one (sorry Alex!)…
Anyway, feel free to keep using this thread as much or as little as you want, regardless of your involvement on Discord. (Alex, I thought Discord was more like a chatroom than Slack was, myself. From what I’ve seen of people having custom emoji/stickers on it and everything… the screenshots make it really feel that way… Ryouki’s not alone! XD)

Welcome, @hamstersamster! ^^

頑張ってね。

How are you finding Genki so far?

They have very a very similar feeling to them. But I have heard that the audio portion of Discord is awesome.

Sure no problem that would be fine

thanks

I kind of feel like I must say this as I think a lot of people might be getting the wrong impression
It’s not at all my intention to remove or replace this forum by doing a discord server. I originally created it because I had gotten a study partner and didn’t want to bombard the forum with my silly low-level questions.
I also don’t want to say no you can’t use my server, because this is a community we are all here to learn from each other and by creating this server I was trying to be helpful
I also am not expecting anyone to join it, it’s there use it if you want or don’t, if 2 people or 100 decide to utilize it that’s great

I hope this doesn’t come across rude but just feel like it needed to be clarified

1 Like

You’re the best!

I’m not going to join the discord group. I’d prefer to use the forum when I have questions so that is what I will do! Thank you!

Hey no worries. I’ve no problem with your approach nor @Ryouki’s.

The main point here was to bring people together. I’m glad it’s seem to have done that - and I can try to remember where in my text I am. XD

Let’s keep nagging each other to study. ^^

Okay, it’s up there - let me know if you want me to call it something else? XD

1 Like

That’s awesome, and I fully agree it is about learning together and haha nagging each other :blush:
And, thanks for creating this forum I have already studied way more Genki than previously, almost done with lesson two!
so please feel free to nag as much as u need to :smile:

I did lesson 6 yesterday. I’m going to review it today as I feel I need to better memorize the different ways to conjugate the て forms.

1 Like

I need nagging too!

I still haven’t touched Genki in so long… I may have to put my Japanese studies on hold though, when I go back to school for a Master’s degree. Especially if I start this semester and wind up already a week behind.

Ok I just made a note to nag you every week bwhahah!
But really if ever there is a good reason to put your Japanese studies on hold getting a Master’s is right up there :blush: if I can ask what are u getting your Master’s in?

Either Divinity or Theology. So I can pursue missional and community outreach as a paid profession (rather than the volunteering that I am enjoying now). I’m gunning for Divinity.

(I totally see someone quoting that last line… XD)

And thanks for the nagging. XD

2 Likes

I’m so sorry I’m only replying now! But that’s really an interesting subject I’m sure u will do great :blush:
I came on here because I remembered I’m meant to nag u !!! bwhahahaha (and that I hadn’t replied to you) anyway this is you’re weekly nag I’ll see u next week ….jokes ……maybe
sneaky-cat

Actually, I’m heading out to study at S’bucks instead of at home. Today I finally crack open Genki again!

; )

3 Likes

I just finished my KaniWani reviews and now I’m about to do some Genki studying as well! Yay us!

1 Like

Yay!
I’ve just reviewed the grammar for Lessons 7 & 8. 9 & 10 are next, and then I’m on to new material with Lesson 11 (finally!). ^^

I wanted to type at you in Japanese, unfortunately my Japanese keyboard plugin for my tablet doesn’t like to recognize my bluetooth keyboard fully - it does, however I can’t figure out how to switch from roman input to hiragana without disabling the physical keyboard and tapping on the screen. ^^; I wonder if perhaps Google Japanese might work better (I love it on my phone)… but for whatever reason when I first got this tablet, that wasn’t available (maybe the Android OS is too old?) so I have iWin IME… which is sort of like a psuedo-Windows IME??? XD

Anyways, I digress. Time to do some WK reviews, and then back to grammar!

2 Likes